Train stop improvement

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ben04
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train stop improvement

Post by ben04 »

Hi,

I want to be able to set the train behavior at stops and not in the train. Currently, the train schedule planner determines whether a train waits until it is full or until some time passed until the train continues. I have an ore dropoff point where many trains dump their content. Unfortunately, I need to manually set the policy for every train. I would significantly prefer if I could set it only once at the train stop.

Maybe it would be a good idea to give the schedule the option to override the stop policy. However, in all of my train setups so far I have not yet encountered a situation where two trains had a different policy at the same stop.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train stop improvement

Post by Lubricus »

Interesting. I have more train-stations than trains so it wouldn't be easier to set the conditions on the stops.

Mr. Mechanic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mr. Mechanic »

You can copy train schedules with shift + right mouse button, and paste them with shift + left mouse button, just like how you can copy assembler recipes. I think this works for any entity that has settings, such as combinators, filter inserters, chests (limits), cargo wagon filters, train stations settings, and so on.

Either way, I do think it's a good idea to let train stations determine the schedule of trains. Especially when it's combined with a conditions system (1: go to refuel station IF fuel < 10, 2: go to iron outpost IF iron supply > 16.000, 3: go to central station). It would make rail networks more flexible: instead of having to add trains to specific resource loops, you can build stations that dynamically send trains to fetch whatever resource is most demanded, based on circuit conditions. Then it's just a matter of adding trains to the network, and the network will put them to use wherever they're needed most.

ben04
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ben04 »

My usual setup consists of one ore-drop-off station and many mining stations. There is a train per mining station. The trains goes back and froth between both.

Having stop blue prints might be a good idea. In my case, I would have an ore pickup stop blue print and an ore drop-off-blue-print and I would never need to set and I would no longer need to configure any details.

evildogbot100
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evildogbot100 »

ben04 wrote:However, in all of my train setups so far I have not yet encountered a situation where two trains had a different policy at the same stop.
I did, so I strongly disagree with this.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

You can use circuit network to control stop behaviour.
You will need to set train condition on that stop to something like "Circuit network: Red signal=1"
Then you can operate that red signal from circuit network how you like setting it to 1 when you want train to leave.
You can differentiate trains by reading train ID to the network if you need it for some reason.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”