Vehicle Steering Suggestion

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cashford
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Vehicle Steering Suggestion

Post by cashford »

TL;DR
I would like to be able to steer the car and tank vehicles by using the mouse instead of WASD

What ?
It takes a large amount of adjusting using the keys to maintain a straight line while steering vehicles.
Ideally, I would love to be able to hold down a key (configurable, perhaps defaulted to right click?) and have the vehicle turn to change its heading to the mouse location (not an immediate pivot, but at a speed equivalent to existing turn speed).
Why ?
This would make steering easier for new users to master. I have played 1,000+ hours of Factorio and still have enough of an issue to drive me to create this post :).
This would make it much more convenient to use vehicles for factory driving prior to having power armor with multiple exoskeleton modules. Driving lanes through factories is a dream of mine, but I don't feel like I have the control necessary to drive in a lane without having a 12+ width lane when 4-5 is all that should be needed.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Vehicle Steering Suggestion

Post by Jap2.0 »

But then how would anyone get the "run forrest, run" achievement?

Anyway, more seriously now: I'd be fine either way. Crashing into things is annoying and fun at the same time. I find it to be almost a mini-game of sorts :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Steer your vehicle with the mouse.

Post by Omarflyjoemacky »

Hello Dev's!

Driving north is fun. Driving any other direction feels backwards (as it is...south anyway)

Why not steer the vehicle with your mouse? Hold down the left button and drag your mouse around the screen. Wherever the cursor is, that's where you'll go. "W" would still control the speed.

Simple idea I suppose.
"And then Bender ran."

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Steer your vehicle with the mouse.

Post by JohnyDL »

How do you aim and shoot at bitters and run away from them at the same time if your mouse steers your car back into the bitters?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged topic into older same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Steer your vehicle with the mouse.

Post by DanGio »

JohnyDL wrote:How do you aim and shoot at bitters and run away from them at the same time if your mouse steers your car back into the bitters?
Auto-turret ! :)

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Point at the biters and drive in reverse ?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Double click on the map and automatically going to this point? Something like in strategy unit sending to point.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Hotkey! Press both mouse buttons to drive?

Always options.
"And then Bender ran."

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

As cursor_position was removed from the api in one of the .15.x updates this can't be modded in anymore even if someone wanted to. And as above mentioned steering and aiming simultaneously with one mouse would be difficult.... A twin-stick style approach might work but alas most ppl don't play factorio with a gamepad :P.

For your personal enjoyment you might want to try a mod that limits the angles a car can rotate to, making "driving straight" with the keyboard a lot easier. Two mods i can find right off the bat:

VehicleSnap
Pavement Drive Assist
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Yeah, vehicle snap is awesome. Use that bad boy already.

A lot of flight simulators offer an "invert Y axis" option. Why not program in an option when driving South on the X asix? Don't quite know how that would affect steering going East and West though... :)

I mean, smashing into trees cause I can't control the car going South is fun and all... but just can't get my mind to make that "click". Would certainly help new players.
"And then Bender ran."

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”