Roboport Improvement: Adjustable coverage area

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Skyfront
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Roboport Improvement: Adjustable coverage area

Post by Skyfront »

TL;DR
Adjust the coverage area of roboports from default down to no additional coverage to improve charging capacity while not mixing logistic networks.

What ?
The idea is simple. Add an option in the roboport GUI to set the size of the area covered by the individual roboport. Let it scale from the default and down to 0 coverage area.
Optimally there should be an option to adjust both height and width separately based around the roboport as the center.

Why ?
It would add additional flexibility to the game allowing for denser placement of separated logistic networks. It will also allow for additional charging capacity along the border of a logistic network.

Edit: I had a thread on reddit about it some time ago - https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... rage_area/

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Roboport Improvement: Adjustable coverage area

Post by deer_buster »

Rather than try to modify the code to configure the size (which in and of itself would be useful in many situations, especially around walls, and I would love to see it), it might be much quicker to add a vanilla entity that does nothing but have multiple charging ports

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are already a lot of chargers as mod: https://mods.factorio.com/?q=charge
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I have a better idea: ImageImage

Veklim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Veklim »

Actually, I like both the OP and Mylon's idea, both would be nice, but I've felt for a while that if anything to increase bot charging were to be implemented in vanilla it would likely occur as a simple charging post of some sort (probably 2X2) which offers no additional coverage but yields between 2 and 4 charging ports somewhere (2 would be reasonable, 4 preferable imo)
That said I feel the possible green logistic chest mooted in last week's FFF might signal the start of a bot system revisiting, where I imagine we might see an overhaul of many logistic system overhauls and tweaks. Time shall tell eh?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”