[0.15.23] Cannot open GUI of fast moving train

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.15.23] Cannot open GUI of fast moving train

Post by jarcionek »

When changing the schedules of multiple trains, I navigate through the map and change the schedules of all trains going to the same station. However, opening the GUI of a fast moving train is close to impossible. Current implementation requires a mouse click (press + release) on the single wagon/locomotive. If I press the button on a locomotive but release it on the wagon, the GUI won't open.

Suggestion: Open train GUI on mouse press. Mouse release would do nothing as the GUI is already opened when the button is released.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.15.23] Cannot open GUI of fast moving train

Post by Loewchen »

Moved to development suggestions...

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

Loewchen wrote:Moved to development suggestions...
I don't think that "opening GUI of fast moving train" is a feature which needs a special implementation. The fact that I suggested a solution to the bug, does not change this issue from bug to suggestion. I would be grateful if you could move it back to the bugs section.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jarcionek wrote:
I don't think that "opening GUI of fast moving train" is a feature which needs a special implementation. The fact that I suggested a solution to the bug, does not change this issue from bug to suggestion. I would be grateful if you could move it back to the bugs section.
There are many ways to open train gui's, difficulty clicking on a fast moving train isn't a bug

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

Klonan wrote:
jarcionek wrote:
There are many ways to open train gui's, difficulty clicking on a fast moving train isn't a bug
Many? The only other way is from the train overview, where the filter gets cleared whenever you open the train's GUI, where there is no visibility of which trains you have already changed and where there is no guarantee that order of trains will stay the same after you change the schedule. Good luck changing 10 trains out of 80 that you have.

When I click on the stopped train - the GUI opens. When I click on the moving train - the GUI doesn't open. That's a bug.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Maybe it's not a bug, but it is a problem of the sort that should be listed with bugs anyway. As an unforeseen effect of all the wonderful improvements you guys have made to trains :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jarcionek wrote: Many? The only other way is from the train overview, where the filter gets cleared whenever you open the train's GUI, where there is no visibility of which trains you have already changed and where there is no guarantee that order of trains will stay the same after you change the schedule. Good luck changing 10 trains out of 80 that you have.

When I click on the stopped train - the GUI opens. When I click on the moving train - the GUI doesn't open. That's a bug.
Ways to open a train GUI:
  • Clicking on a locomotive
  • Clicking on a train from the map view
  • Clicking on a train frame button in the train overview
  • Clicking on a train frame button from the train stop menu
There is no logic in the game to say if a train is moving fast, the Gui will not open, you are just not clicking it effectively
I am not saying there is no space to improve this behavior, but it is not a bug

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

In my experience, clicking on a moving train in map view will not work if you are moving the mouse cursor at the same speed of the train. You must stop moving the mouse and then click. That works more reliably. However, if you miss, the create label GUI will be opened instead of the train GUI, which I find quite annoying.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”