Stop Blueprints escaping their Books

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Stop Blueprints escaping their Books

Post by Rseding91 »

Zool wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:No I didn't know you could do that. How do you do it?
Just hold the book in your cursor like you're going to build with it and then use the hotkey to scroll through it.
Well, for a good reason, you can name Blueprints and give them an icon. When you open the blueprint book, you can see these icons and read the description. Due to that, you can find very specific blueprints easily, even if there are different ones that look a bit equal when built.

When scrolling through the blueprints, you don't see icon and description. There is no chance to differenciate just visually when the difference between 2 blueprints are for example just the detailed network settings or things like that.
You didn't actually try it did you? You *do* see the description.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Muche
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Muche »

I started experimenting with following workflow:
Have all blueprint books in the library; then find correct book based on name, right click; find correct blueprint based on icons and name, left click; press E/ESC to close the library, place blueprint; then destroy blueprint from the inventory.

But I guess I am using the BP library wrong, right @Rseding91?

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

Rseding91 wrote:
Yes, but not the icon ;)

Ace_W
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ace_W »

I think the problem is you gave us a new function (the ability to label via graphic markers) and didn't follow through.

So what players seem to be asking for is an expanded functionality of those markers. The ability to select a blue print from the book grid, and have it zip back without ending in inventory. Which only creates clutter.

The locked in thought that the user is wrong seems at odds with what I've observed of Factorios staff.

I myself use the mouse scroll, and take a bit of time to clearly label my prints. I still have to hunt. Or loop around my prints , passing the one I want.

That's clearly a design issue. Maybe a tooltip popup of the icons could help. I have to select the book anyways. Having a clear tool tip icon floating next to the name.
"No! This one goes there! That one goes There! Right?!"

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

whitecold wrote:TL;DR
Blueprints in a book should always stay there
Slightly Longer
Blueprint Books are useful, however I rarely scroll though them, instead I open them, and just select what I need. This ends up however with the blueprints ending up in my inventory, instead of back in the book.
I'd like to change it that blueprints return to their book when you cancel them/are finished with them. The only way blueprints should end up in your inventory is if you drag/drop them there.
I never scroll through them...I just open the blueprint, find the one I want and use it. Blueprint management could definitely use some UX improvements

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Selvek wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
Yes, but not the icon ;)
This. Because you can't tell, unless you're really good at naming, which blueprint uses Transport Belts, Fast Transport Belts and Express Transport Belts, and this can be especially troublesome whith very large blueprints and most of the blueprint is the same except for one of the icons telling you whether it is, for example, an "I"nput or "O"utput or "IO". I mostly just choose the blueprint that matches the specific Icon conditions that I am looking for

So, without having to hover over the blueprint to see its name, I can tell...
In my blueprint book named "Rails"
"Fast Inserter" + "O" + "Transport Belt" immediately tells me that it is a Ore Loading station that uses yellow belts
"Stack Inserter" + "O" + "Fast Transport Belt" immediately tells me that it is a Ore Loading station that uses red belts
"Pump" + "O" immediately tells me that it is a fluid loading station
"Electronic Circuit" + "I" + "O" + "Transport Belt" immediately tells me that it is a Electronic Circuit production station that has input slots as well as output and uses yellow belts

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”