Versioning for blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Versioning for blueprints

Post by leoch »

I have quite a few complex blueprints that have gone through several revisions.

Can we please get:
  • version control for blueprint books
  • ability to update a blueprint without wiping, recreating from scratch, and renaming

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Versioning for blueprints

Post by BlackKnight »

I know what you mean ..though don't really think many changes need to be made.

- Upgrading: I can't think of an easier solution to this than placing the blueprint, making adjustments and then saving it as a new blueprint -- possibly with a new label affixed (v1,v2,v3...etc).

- Last Modified Date/Timestamps would be useful. Additionally, the game version should also be saved providing an easy solution when browsing blueprints online and knowing how compatible they are with your current game version. If implemented, it would be even more useful to have these as plaintext in the exported string so anyone who shared it would know immediately if it was from an old game build for example.

eg
2017.05.30/13:00/F:0.15.16/0eNqV0N0KgkAQBeB3OdcrqGnFvkpE+DPUgM6Ku1Yi++6tdhMkkZeznP2GORPKZqCuZ3HQE7gyYqFPEyxfpWjmNzd2BA121EJBinaeHsbUJFF1I+vgFVhqekIn/qxA4tgxvZ1lGC8ytCX1IbAuKHTGhk9G5o0BikJwhI69V19Gus2IkjVk9ycS/zCyTUa4JZSz1Kg/Wle4U2+X8D7L0jzPj3Fy8P4F8fmH3Q==

DemRat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DemRat »

Given that placing ghosts is a thing, it'd be nice if we could use the same feature to add stuff to blueprints directly.

We can already have any imaginable blueprint anyway by simply creating it in another game and saving it locally, so it'd just make 'creating the right blueprint' or 'fixing this slightly wrong blueprint' easier.

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

DemRat wrote:Given that placing ghosts is a thing, it'd be nice if we could use the same feature to add stuff to blueprints directly.
We can already have any imaginable blueprint anyway by simply creating it in another game and saving it locally, so it'd just make 'creating the right blueprint' or 'fixing this slightly wrong blueprint' easier.
Thanks to your inspiration DemRat, a link back from my proposed Blueprint Creative Mode: For Creating/Editing/Testing blueprint designs
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49357

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Some added idea: https://github.com/mkottman/lua-git

The idea is: Blueprints can be stored as string. Git can handle the diffs between the versions of that string.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ripshaft
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ripshaft »

leoch wrote:I have quite a few complex blueprints that have gone through several revisions.

Can we please get:
  • version control for blueprint books
  • ability to update a blueprint without wiping, recreating from scratch, and renaming
I endorse this idea, has not felt right to delete my old blueprints as I update them with newer versions, it's like I'm throwing away progress. Part of the joys of factorio is looking back on your old factories and ruins and seeing the mark you left, old blueprints seem like part of this.

Also I suggest the developers add the word 'factorio'/Factorio' to the spell checker dictionary hahaha, seems funny that the name of the game gets highlighted =p (did you mean, 'factorize'?)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”