Mining drill ore selection

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mining drill ore selection

Post by Tekky »

Related suggestion threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62507 Mining drills overlapping uranium and metal/stone/coal
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49475 Filter Miners

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Issue with miners

Post by Hiladdar »

Consider the following image:
Issue with miners
Issue with miners
Issue with miners.jpg (284.33 KiB) Viewed 1262 times

It is possible to have in a game where the uranium ore field is touched some other type of ore field. If the mining area touches even one uranium ore, the game automatically set the miner up for mining with fluids. But what if the player only wants only the iron ore from the two left miners?

When ores are mixed, the same miner as may be the case with iron and copper for example, the miner on the mixed ore patch does work, and the ore can be separated via one of several methods, and that is not an issue.

Recommendations, in a situation like this, consider giving the player a choice to toggle if they want to mine with fluids or without fluids. This may be a minor situational issue left best to just document and defer fixing for later, since the player interim work around is to place the miner in such as way that it does not touch the uranium field. In this case the drawback it that this can be an issue that can distract from the polish of the game.

Hiladdar

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Issue with miners

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's not a bug. That's a feature request.

Moving to ideas and suggestions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

Thanks for dropping this where it belongs.

Hiladdar

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I would like it if uranium is only mined if the mining fluid is present. Otherwise only iron ore is mined. Or in modded cases where multiple ores with mining fluids overlap only the ores for which the right mining fluid is provided to the miner will be mined.

The implementation could also be that the miner tries to mine all ores just like now. But if the mining fluid is missing then no ore is consumed or produced. So for the iron ore / uranium example every time the miner tries to mine uranium it just wastes time.

PS: the mining drill should only run if there is a possible ore under it that could be mined. A pure uranium miner without fluid should stop running like it does now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”