Deconstruct to Chest Solution

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Deconstruct to Chest Solution

Post by BlackKnight »

I've seen this requested many times recently by others so thought I'd have a go at conceptually problem solving this.

Scenario: You have a lot of items to deconstruct but not enough room in your inventory for your personal robots to retrieve the items to.

CTRL+Drag with Deconstruct Tool over items to be removed
Factorio_Suggestion-DeconstructToChest_1.jpg
Factorio_Suggestion-DeconstructToChest_1.jpg (184.53 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
While Holding CTRL, click to Define Target: In this case I chose a provider chest which will allow me to reconstruction everything again nearby if I wanted to. (If implemented, would be nice to have an option to select a chest as target for personal robots to extract from when constructing)
Factorio_Suggestion-DeconstructToChest_2.jpg
Factorio_Suggestion-DeconstructToChest_2.jpg (174.02 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
Notes.
Yellow highlighting for concept only to help illustrate target is now chest instead of player.
Could also redirect all robots in logistics network that may respond not just personal robots.

Edit: Clarification

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Deconstruct to Chest Solution

Post by ssilk »

What if the items are not matching in the chest? You will lose the track totally.

My counter suggestion: Add logistic personal robots. They can put the stuff in the trash slots into the next free storage chests...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

ssilk wrote:What if the items are not matching in the chest? You will lose the track totally.

My counter suggestion: Add logistic personal robots. They can put the stuff in the trash slots into the next free storage chests...
Thanks for responding ssilk.

I don't quite understand what you are saying on the first line though.

You counter suggestion would allow some degree of a solution.. but there are a number of problems with Storage Chests as well as others that illustrate the importance of my suggestion/having an alternative.

Storage Chest Problems
- These chests are almost always far away so it takes a lot of time for the network construction bots to move items or the storage chests are already filled.
- They get any number of items placed into them where other chests you know will only have what you deliver or what has been requested. So if I place down a storage chest temporarily to deconstruct a number of items and it also gets filled with other random items.. maybe a bunch of coal, Now I have to solve emptying that coal as well... which means personally, I very rarely use storage chests for anything but central network items.
- If outside of logistic network range, it would be impossible to solve.

My solution - using personal roboport/bots and or logistic network bots to deconstruct everything from a series of buildings into any logistic chest I directed them to - until full. This would make construction tasks so much easier - eg. moving your smelting line a few spaces over. Also, the way I see it is if construction bots can pull from a chest they should be able to refill that same chest types.
The main purpose is to make sure when you deconstruct many things, your personal construction robots don't bring everything back to your inventory and equally, your logistic construction bots don't move your items half way across the map to a storage chest.

For re-Constructing, the reverse could be possible. This would allow you to assign an (optional) target chest for your bots and or logistic bots to access for construction.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I go with your idea if CTRL-Click, but not with the selection of a storage chest.
There are too many side cases, this suggestions doesn't explain, like
- selected chest if already (nearly) full?
- how to select a chest outside of view?
- and more.

I agree, that this suggestion would add some kind of elegance to the gameplay, but I think, it has to many issues yet. Needs some more thinking. :)

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=20566 Changes for the Personal Roboport
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”