Server autosave on last player disconnect

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mimp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Server autosave on last player disconnect

Post by Mimp »

TL;DR
Server should have an option to automatically save the game file after the last player disconnects.

What ?
It can be hours before anyone returns to an empty server, during that time any number of things could happen causing the game state to be lost if the server isn't shut down correctly. Having a feature that would allow automatic saving of the map once the last player left should only impact the server and would add insurance against other events, (power loss, system reboot from automatic updates, brain farts, etc,) causing data loss.
Why ?
I speak from personal experience here. Last night I set up sulphur, sulphuric acid, my first uranium mine, a train stacker, automated production of chem plants and a few other miscellaneous housekeeping items before I logged out. Today, after I saw there was another update, (you guys rock!) I went to update the server and had a small event that caused my original session to logout, I didn't get a chance to close down the server. At the time I didn't think much of it but once I updated the server and my local client I logged back in to see all the trees where my chemical plants had been. Turning up the frequency of automatic saves would have helped a bit but I believe I would have lost some changes even if it was much more frequent. For now I'm clearing the forest and having a strange sense of deja-vu. Thanks for reading.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”