Darken miner on depleted deposit

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Darken miner on depleted deposit

Post by pichutarius »

TL;DR
or anything to make them distinct from active miners. so player can spot them easier.
What ?
Why ?
because im lazy. :D
c'mon, surely im not the only one?

related mod:
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=28817
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=17566
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=47319
Attachments
1.png
1.png (696.52 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
Last edited by pichutarius on Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Darken miner on depleted deposit

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Thats one way to do it.

Personally I find the "Bottlenecks" mod does it great. Turns red when depleted.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

I belive, You can connect light to them, that light when miner is depleted...

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

mp0011 wrote:I belive, You can connect light to them, that light when miner is depleted...
A speaker with global alert sound would be better because it never stops until you get there to shut it off :D

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pichutarius »

mp0011 wrote:I belive, You can connect light to them, that light when miner is depleted...
i just tested and... u're right! one never stop learning.
but then, its too troublesome for such a little thing to ask for, same for installing a mod.
i admit this small feature is not a must have, but certainly nice to have for a more quality gaming experience ;)

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

bottleneck would be a great addition to vanilla, imho. Would serve to meet the need of the OP and would give great additional functionality.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

pichutarius wrote:
mp0011 wrote:but then, its too troublesome for such a little thing to ask for, same for installing a mod.
I suggest you read viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30240

Mods aren't difficult to install (5 clicks and a little typing - on the main menu click mods, install mods, type a name, click install, click close to get back to the main menu and your game almost instantly restarts now with mods, compared to a team of devs writing a few dozen lines of code testing it optimising it and so on) and if a mod has something that you want and makes your game better use it, it encourages the devs to talk to the mod maker and think about adding it to the base game. That happened with fluid wagons universal barreling and blueprint strings.

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pichutarius »

JohnyDL wrote:I suggest you read
pichutarius wrote:
Why ?
because im lazy. :D
i read that long ago, but thanks anyway. 5 clicks is still to much for too little feature. (honest, i can live without it ;))
but then u inspire me to add a link to the mod so future visitor can have a look and hopefully what u mentioned happens. so thanks for that. :)
(oops i realise im full of condradiction :?)

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

[MOD 0.15+] AutoDeconstruct 0.1.8
Automatically marks your miners for deconstruction when they run out of resources to mine.

It is worth the effort of the download. If you have bots with this mod then miners just vanish by magic! If you don't have bots yet, use Bluebuild.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

There should probably be a tutorial showing you some of these types of things, which you can do with circuits...

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Personally, I would prefer that exhaused drills are marked for deconstruction.

If there are roboports in the area, they will be automatically picked up and returned to circulation. Or a player running by will automatically pick them up.

If there are no roboports, then the drill will display a nice red X on it.

PKing Zombie Spy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PKing Zombie Spy »

pichutarius wrote:
TL;DR
or anything to make them distinct from active miners. so player can spot them easier.
I would like this in vanilla myself. It might be more Factorio-esque and in keeping with the existing alert system to make the visual cue more like a flashing alert icon akin to the one used to alert that a gun turret has no bullets, or a device has no power, other similar icons used throughout the game.

For me, much of the lategame is (1) claiming new land, (2) planting miners on new deposits, (3) reclaiming exhausted miners from older fields. The last task is somewhat annoying since I can't really tell whether a miner is really exhausted or merely blocked without mousing over it and seeings its expected resources. A distinct visual clue would reduce a lot of tedium when I'm doing my "cleanup" rounds on old fields.

The other suggestion for marking for automatic deconstruction might be nice. It would be a bit bad for the way I personally organize my factories, since I use roboports with construction robots and repair packs to maintain my outer perimeter against attacks, but with no storage, and these fields are often very close to where I place that perimeter. (Indeed often the reason I chose a particular place as a perimiter vs. some other location was to capture some rich field. :) ) But I could adapt if that's how it's done.

hoosh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hoosh »

I would be happy if it just had a little street sign like when there is no power or something. Maybe a different color or shape so you know what it means.

Autodeconstruction would be nice but i dont necessarily want stuff added to my inventory just from walking by.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Lav wrote:Personally, I would prefer that exhaused drills are marked for deconstruction.

If there are roboports in the area, they will be automatically picked up and returned to circulation. Or a player running by will automatically pick them up.

If there are no roboports, then the drill will display a nice red X on it.
This is probably the best solution. It uses things that are already in the game, and it would also be an obvious mark for a player (or robot) to see that the mine is inactive.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I just look for the ones with no ore underneath them, but it would be nice to have a better visual indicator. I wouldn't go for darkening it, but something, anything the devs think looks good is probably going to make me happy. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”