Worker Robots Pathfinding Update (!Important)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

alfa-cz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Worker Robots Pathfinding Update (!Important)

Post by alfa-cz »

I suggest some changes to Worker Bots AI (Pathfinding) :!: :!: :!:

Hello firstly i would like to say... that for me personally, I consider this a bug report, but I don't want to overwhelm you all Devs. So I have decided to keep this issue as an Suggestion. 8-)

Problem: In my many playthroughs I discovered (after a fine amout of time, just watching the fascinating Worker Robots working) that when a player exits the Logistic area, it triggers an event, when every Logistic Robot that has been determined to deliver some stuff to the player from Logistic Network, is rerouted into a nearest storage chest point. This would not be problem, if the player couldn't make it back into the logistic area before all the robots were rerouted and sent to another destination. The problem starts, when any player, with active logistic request enters the logistic area and there are robots still carying thousands of items to the storage just because he/she accidentally stepped out of the logistic network area while requesting some items from logistic network.

In summation: When a player leaves the Logistic area, Items beeing delivered to his adress are rerouted to the nearest storage chest. But on an event of player returning into the logistic area Items are unfortunately being still delivered to the nearest storage instead of beeing rerouted back to the player.

:geek: Suggestion: You could split the decision by division of the distances between player, who had recently come back to the logistic area, and storage point, which is determined to store items being carried by robots. ;)
I can protect you form real world. How? Come with me and join to the virtual one.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Worker Robots Pathfinding Update (!Important)

Post by JohnyDL »

In theory unless you're in out in out in out of the logistics area with just the wrong timing the stuff that got brought out will make it back into storage chests and then make its way to you because storage is a higher priority than passive providers, so if there's an item in storage that's needed that is removed first so 3 chests of storage should do you for those incidents although storage is also used for a host of other things too isn't it like deconstruction and active providers.

I agree the AI does need a revamp to do in air stuff when a construction bot deconstructs an item it should look for the closest useful place to put it, if that overrides a bot in the air that's okay if that's storage that's also fine. if there's something waiting to be deconstructed and a bot is on top trying to place a blueprint it should swap the items, if that saves another bot flying across the map that's great. The same logic could probably be applied to your situation though on_player_enters_logistic_network recalculate the nearest place for logistics bots in the air to go that's useful, player good, storage no worse than present, requester good. then recalculate what new bots need to be sent flying

alfa-cz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alfa-cz »

I agree, the stuff taken out of the storage (to be delivered to the player) is going to get back into the storage, when you leave the logistic area, just fine. But my centralized storage system with active providers at each machine is not really helping to solve this problem.
I admit, that the problem i described is related to the lack of logistic robots in my logistic area network and the fact, that i used centralized storage. On the other hand, I still see this like a problem and its exactly like you said "unless you are not in out in out of the logistic area with just wrong timing". What if i dont have the resources to build that many roboports to cover my whole factory + perimeter where i walk sometimes.

More robots, and more resources for my factory is definitely a solution for this problem. The question is. Is it the right solution ?
I can protect you form real world. How? Come with me and join to the virtual one.

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

I would think the easiest way to fix this would be to consider item's in robots' inventories to be part of the available items in the logistics network. (Only if they're headed for storage chests.) Robot inventories are considered of higher priority than even storage chests, and instead of sending a robot to pick up the item, it just suborns the robot that's already moving. It could cause a few problems with partial stacks, but I think they could be easily solved. Also, depending on the design of your network, the game might need to keep track of many, many more inventories, which could cause performance problems. (Since only robots-heading-to-storage count, it would probably only impact people who use a lot of active provider chests.) But I don't know the details of the logistics implementation.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093 Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot Enhancements/Robot Routing/Charging

As it seems, there are some plans to revisit the bots with next version.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”