Blueprints and planning with new inventory GUI

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nick-Nack
Inserter
Inserter

Blueprints and planning with new inventory GUI

Post by Nick-Nack »

Hi there,

after yesterdays Friday Facts I looked through the forums for currently discussed ideas on blueprints, ghosts and planning and developed a proposal that creates a coherent usage of blueprints throughout the Factorio game stages.

Idea in one sentence:
Use blueprints and ghost placements to the fullest by allowing to modify individual ghosts and easily place to ghost from inventory.

Why it's needed:
Currently placing the same type of structure over and over again is very tedious before construction bots become available and take player time without adding fun.

Design goal
Create a tool that can be used throughout the game to
  • plan out structures
  • reuse structures in and between games
  • reduce misclicks/placement errors
  • facilitate communication in multiplayer mode
Design principles
  1. Intuitive UI: Especially new players should be able to learn new features quickly. If they don't want to use them, they shouldn't get in the way.
  • Expensive scaling: Saving time when doing things big should cost more resources than doing things manually so that the decision what to automate remains interesting in later game stages.
  • Roboport construction as fix point: Construction with roboports should not rapidly change in cost in this new proposal to make sure it still fits with the overall game balance.
Exisiting concepts
  • Ghost buildings: When holding shift while placing a building a ghost building is placed. It is visible to all teammates but does not interact with any objects in the game world.
  • Blueprints: A collection of ghost buildings that can be placed with one click.
Concepts added from FFF-191
  • Inventory filters: Buildings can be ghost build from filters in the quickbar without having the acutal item in the inventory.
Additional concepts added
  • Placement modifier key: When holding ctrl while left clicking on a ghost building within reach it is placed from the inventory if available. Filters are set and modules are included as in the ghost. Ghost circuit cables that are now between two placed buildings get placed, too, if available (see #1).
  • Ghost filters and modules: When left clicking a ghost building, a menu similar to the one of the actual building shows up. Recipes can be set and modules can be inserted as ghosts (see #2).
  • Ghost cables: When holding shift while placing cables they are set as ghosts. Ghost cables can also be set between ghost buildings, or between ghost buildings and placed buildings.
  • Colored regions: With a new planner (next to blueprints and deconstruction planners, obtained the same way) you can mark rectangular places in a color of your choice or remove any of these markings. While drawing the rectangle, its dimensions will be shown in the gui.
Concepts not included from #3
  • Cloning: This is now covered by blueprints and the placement modifier key.
  • Mining area: Would clash with design principles 2 and 3 as it would be more powerful than using construction bots, especially while they are still slow.
  • Active planning: Would clash with design principle 1 as two different types of ghost would be really confusing to new players.
#1: Introduce "build over ghosts" button or modifier - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45403
#2: Manipulate ghost buildings just like regular ones - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22362
#3: Planning (Signs, Cloning, Ghosts, Blueprinting and more...) - viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4682

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Blueprints and planning with new inventory GUI

Post by quadrox »

I like this very much. I worry that some people will say this makes construction bots redundant, but personally I hope that this gets implemented exactly as you suggest!

Nick-Nack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nick-Nack »

Yeah, given that you would have to click each ghost individually and get close to the ghosts, this shouldn't make construction robots irrelevant :)

mnicolella
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mnicolella »

Yeah, I like this a lot.

Being able to construct ghost buildings from inventory really helps the experienced player get through the early game with less tedium. It could also introduce new players to blueprints sooner and removes a UI obstacle that seems unnecessary (ie you can place a ghost building, you have the item in inventory, why force the player to find the item in their inventory and place it exactly over the ghost building?)

It doesn't make construction bots redundant - the bots allow much quicker automated construction to a larger area, and can figure out how to fetch the building blocks themselves via your logistic network.

Nick-Nack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nick-Nack »

The only thing I am unsure about is, whether there is a need for some way to enable and disable ghosts for construction robots.

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

I definitely think at least building ghosts needs to be implemented in some form, whether by tool or modifier key. In my mind, you're still building the structures by hand, the tool/modifier is just a hint to the game to pick the right thing automatically and put it there. I would get a lot of use out of a feature like that, especially early game. A lot.

Some more options for planning and modifying ghosts would be welcome as well. :)

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

I'm all for these.

Currently the closest option is using the pipette tool on a ghost - which pops the object into your hand. The downside is that currently if that building had any presets from a blueprint (eg. assemblers), they are wiped. This is really very annoying and should have been implemented in 0.15 ...but know how good the devs are (and know they have been busy) so I expect there to be some solution to this problem eventually.. hopefully solving some of the above suggestions in the process.

Related, I just wrote about a new concept that I think would really help blueprint design and completely eliminate the challenges associated - such as creating designs you dont have the inventory items for and testing throughput before actually implementing into the game.
Blueprint Creative Mode: For Creating/Editing/Testing viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49357

Nick-Nack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nick-Nack »

Blueprint Creative Mode actually would work very well with this, I agree :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”