Minimap Toggle Key

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

evilkittenofdoom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Minimap Toggle Key

Post by evilkittenofdoom »

Basically, I'd like a hotkey to quickly toggle the minimap on and off instead of needing to go through the settings every time.

At first, the minimap isn't in the way. It's useful to quickly find things nearby and is generally pleasant....

Then ... you make a roboport. And logistics robots. Now suddenly you can't see virtually any of the details of the logistics network and other things that I'm highlighting because the minimap is in the way and the highlighted entity details appear under the minimap. So what I've always wanted from day one of playing after I finally got my Roboport was the ability to toggle the minimap quicker. The main map is nice, but I can't scan it quickly and move at the same time.

It's a minor quality of life thing, yes, but I would think it should also be fairly quick and easy to implement, since the minimap on/off toggle already exists. It'd just be linking the toggle to an in-game key binding.

plepper1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Minimap Toggle Key

Post by plepper1 »

I like this idea as well. When attacking, moving to the W/NW/N is easy. Attacking enemies to the S/SE/and especially E is hard because of the screen real estate taken up by the hotbar, ammo widget and mini-map.

Disclaimer: I hadn't yet found the option to hide the mini-map, but making it a hotkey would simplify the toggle.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

I would also like a button to enable/disable the minimap and other UI elements.

evilkittenofdoom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by evilkittenofdoom »

plepper1 wrote:I like this idea as well. When attacking, moving to the W/NW/N is easy. Attacking enemies to the S/SE/and especially E is hard because of the screen real estate taken up by the hotbar, ammo widget and mini-map.

Disclaimer: I hadn't yet found the option to hide the mini-map, but making it a hotkey would simplify the toggle.
Options -> Graphics -> Show Minimap

funnyfranky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by funnyfranky »

Is there no way to toggle the mini-map on and off with an hotkey?

teleksterling
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by teleksterling »

Has this post sat since last May without an update? This must be a quick fix. Shift+M?

This is one of those suggestions that I think of and then forget that it was annoying.

It's also why I usually play with the minimap off - because otherwise I can't see the full info panel when it pops up on my laptop screen.

Halmatrix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Halmatrix »

I came here exactly to make a suggestion for shift+M as minimap toggle... Glad to see I'm not the only one!

The toggle is a bit too deep in the options menu to quickly use, which I now do less frequent than I'd like to.

Minmap is often in the way, but sometimes very handy - when you are placing Radars, for example.

Hope this gets implemented, it seems like a straightforward change without game-breaking potential :-)
"A man can't keep people from having a bad opinion of him, but he can keep them from being right about it."

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I also agree that being able to toggle the minimap (and possibly also other UI elements) would be nice, since it can get in the way when attacking in a certain direction.

kieronbm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kieronbm »

I would also like this.

Chrisi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chrisi »

+1

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi i would like to +1 this as well.

i missed a few versions of factorio, but am now on 1.1.1, so to me, now that the new forward and back buttons are in effect (to confirm changes and accept menu options etc), i find myself needing to hide the mini map, several times in a playthrough, and to also click several times just to hide (or unhide) the mini-map, if i want to see something on 13xx x 768 screen)

can something be taken from the original mod, and applied to the main game?
shift+M or control+M or something would be cool,
maybe even the M key could have a "hold down M to Toggle the show/hide? = this way, pressing M would instantly bring up a highly responsive Map window, but Holding M for 2 seconds would hide the minimap, or show it again :)

(btw it sometimes takes even a few more clicks until i get used to it, especially if i click the wrong type of settings button clicking mod settings, as i used to use that mod, but it no longer works, so its not a modd settings, so i click back, and then the proper one, and toggle click it, and then the green confirm, and then the green button which is resume, at the top)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

+1 for QoL Minimap Toggle (Shift+M)

It's a bit annoying having to go to Options each time I want to toggle the minimap. I turn in on/off frequently due to various reasons, some explained by others above. I only need it in some situations like placing radars, exploring, combat, but otherwise prefer to save the UI-space for more info.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”