Turrets produce a circuit network signal

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: circuit connection for turrets

Post by sparr »

ssilk wrote:why I should count the ammo in the turrets. Either it's enough or it's too less. If too less I will see that very soon. If not I need to refill, until it is enough.
There are base defense designs on the forums where the walls have train stations to bring ammo, and the stations get turned off when there is enough ammo. They have to rely on counting ammo in chests, with no awareness of how much is in the turrets. If you want 200 ammo at a defense station, you might have 200 or 800 depending on how full the turrets around the chest are. That's annoying, and you can fix it if you can count the ammo in the turrets too.
Or why should I count the shoots?
Statistics about which parts of the wall get attacked the most often, or how often the biters get in range of your second or third row of turrets. Or maybe an alarm that only goes off when a third-row turret fires.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

If you might need between 200 and 800 ammo in chest, you should probably just have it request 800 instead of 200 always. It´s just a simpler solution to make sure you have enough ammo.
This is just a one time thing to fill that buffer too and making 3 more stacks of ammo is not expensive. After that the rate the turrets use ammo is the same so the rate you need to refill the buffer is the same too, no matter if you initially buffered 200 or 800. No need to make overly complicated design to count all the ammo.
sparr wrote:
Statistics about which parts of the wall get attacked the most often, or how often the biters get in range of your second or third row of turrets. Or maybe an alarm that only goes off when a third-row turret fires.
you can at least have a wire on inserter and a wire on belt next to inserter. You can count stuff on belts. Inserter will need to act when a turret has spent ammo, this will also affect what is on the belt next to it. (or chest if you want to give individual chest buffers to individual turrets, now that is a lot of ammo even if you limit the chests to one stack each)
This should allow you to make an alarm, no?

One thing you might want to do is to have a lot of laser turrets with some gun turrets placed between them, then you can have the laser turrets off by a power switch by default, check when the gun turret nearby is being refilled with ammo and turn the laser turrets on based on that.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

sparr wrote:
ssilk wrote:why I should count the ammo in the turrets. Either it's enough or it's too less. If too less I will see that very soon. If not I need to refill, until it is enough.
There are base defense designs on the forums where the walls have train stations to bring ammo, and the stations get turned off when there is enough ammo. They have to rely on counting ammo in chests, with no awareness of how much is in the turrets. If you want 200 ammo at a defense station, you might have 200 or 800 depending on how full the turrets around the chest are. That's annoying, and you can fix it if you can count the ammo in the turrets too.
Have you tried it yourself?? There is no such thing as "no awareness of how much is in the turrets", as said by Silk, either it is enough, or it is too less. Inserters try to insert up to 10 magazines into a turret so either you still have ammunitions in your chest, in which case each turret have 10 magazines, or their is no more ammunitions in the chest in which case the supply is a bit late.

Plus, with a very simple memory cell, you can keep track of the last inserted item and know the ammunition type, if it was ever needed.
Counting turret ammo would allow more accurate control of ammo delivery to outposts.

Counting turret ammo would allow limited ammo supplies to be more evenly balanced between multiple turrets.
addressed. Ammo count in turret is 10 (up to 12 if you don't override stack bonus), unless you do it wrong (by hand, or shortage). You really should not make an ellaborate system for reading ammunitions supply and routing trains before making a very simple automation of turret feeding with inserters, which feed them up to 10, and nullifies the need of said complex reading.
Turning laser turrets on/off would save their idle power when they aren't needed. They might need a warmup time if this gets implemented, for balance.
Again, this is a no problem, you can turn a laser turret on and off very easily with power switch. The issue is when to do so, but actually, although not at easy as with production lines, it can be currently achieved :

Have some solar panels fill an accumulator on an independant network, linked to (some of) your frontline of laser turrets (turrets that will always be on, and work, among other thing, as ennemy detectors). As soon as the turret(s) see the ennemy they will start draining power like crazy, and that is measurable. Then just connect all the laser turrets of an attacked sector whenever its accumulator is not full and turn them off when said accumulator is full. As far as my testings goes, you don't even face power switch blinking, I guess because the recharging of detector turrets discharges the accumulator enough. If really needed, the detector turret(s) might be excluded from the main power at all time, ensuring they do their detector role right (instead of pumping on the main network and letting the accu recharge). The only issue is that it will turn turrets on at night, but it can easily be circumvented with a bit of imagination (eg adding two intermediate accumulators between the current accu and the detector turrets).

Other simpler solutions exist, one with robotport and landmines, as responsive but higher tech upkeep and base cost, although you might want have a robot port there at some point anyway. And there is one by counting the ammunition of gun or fire turret. Gun turret is very bad since you are limited by its range and by bad readings, but fire turret should work excellently, if you have them installed (their range is greater than laser turrets). I've made up these solution just now, but just checked and actual implementations already exist apparently : here is the link to a much simpler solution with robotport and walls only : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27866, and here is a nice collection of the different setups of various degree of ellaboration : https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... need_them/ .

Glad you thought about warmup time. Currently, all drain time of processing machines can be nullified by clever circuitery, and as demonstrated above, most of laser drain also can. If you don't even have to be clever about it, a warm up time (inducing energy cost) is pretty much needed, to give an actual tradeoff for gain. Arguably, that warmup time already exists for laser turrets, however small, since they will fire whenever charged up, and require time to charge up (but they already are charged up if they were on and draining energy).
Counting or pulsing for turret shots would allow circuit activity based on biter attacks, maybe lighting up lights in the spots attacked most recently or often.
This can be done by mesuring consumed ammunitions over time. For that use, you don't need a singlle shoot precision. Turrets readings brings absolutely othing to the table for that use, the circuitery needed is rigourosly the same, up to some multiplicative constant. If you have not done it yet, you won't do it because of turret's reading.

However, it would greatly ease the activation of dormant laser turret. Less importantly, it allows to set alarms, if it is ever needed to be redundant with the already present in game ones.
Turning gun/laser turrets on/off would allow biters to be funneled to particular areas through trickery.
Turning gun/laser turrets on/off is already possible : use power switch for laser, and stack inserters for gun if fast control is needed (and pump for fire). It is not as convenient as circuit condition but can be achieved currently, and I believe it's much easier than the actual logic behind biters funneling (I'd gladly be proven wrong on that point). In short, if you can't already funnel biters, easier switching of turrets won't help much.

I think you really need to be more imaginative with what can currently be done with circuits. I'm all for more circuitery logic, but your examples seem poorly thought to me.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Mendel wrote:you can at least have a wire on inserter and a wire on belt next to inserter. You can count stuff on belts. Inserter will need to act when a turret has spent ammo, this will also affect what is on the belt next to it. (or chest if you want to give individual chest buffers to individual turrets, now that is a lot of ammo even if you limit the chests to one stack each)
This only works if the turret fires enough times to get a new clip inserted. And "enough" is effectively random, since it depends on exactly how much ammo was already in the turret. A turret can kill multiple biters without getting a reload.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

sparr wrote:
Mendel wrote:you can at least have a wire on inserter and a wire on belt next to inserter. You can count stuff on belts. Inserter will need to act when a turret has spent ammo, this will also affect what is on the belt next to it. (or chest if you want to give individual chest buffers to individual turrets, now that is a lot of ammo even if you limit the chests to one stack each)
This only works if the turret fires enough times to get a new clip inserted. And "enough" is effectively random, since it depends on exactly how much ammo was already in the turret. A turret can kill multiple biters without getting a reload.
Yeah gun turrets are bad for alarms, but laser and flame are perfectly fine.

Sqvirrel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Gun Turret - Ammo to circuit network

Post by Sqvirrel »

It would be wonderful to be able to connect the gun turret to the circuit network, and have it output the amount of ammo it contains. I actually found it a little surprising that it was not possible, since I find the circuit network to be well implemented everywhere else.

If this would be possible, it would be easier to have fine-grained control over the automatic refill of a certain amount of ammo to my gun turrets!

Best Regards
Sqvirrel

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Gun Turret - Ammo to circuit network

Post by nuhll »

doubepost.
Last edited by nuhll on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

As a workaround you could put "turret - inserter - chest" and read the contents of the chest? :)

Or "turrets - inserter - belt - inserter - chest"

But i dont really get why u wanna see the content of the turret anyway :roll:

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

Here's my solution to low tech turrets set up in in far away places : viewtopic.php?f=193&t=65057

Gives you a 3 turret set that has an indicator light as to ammo level. So you can cruise around in Map-view and check your turrets to see if you need to go out and refill them.

-jim lee

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

OP's suggestion has already been suggested in the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44927 Gun Turrets and Circuit network
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47787 circuit connection for turrets

EDIT: Meanwhile, the threads have been merged. Therefore, my above links either point to the current thread or are no longer valid.
Last edited by Tekky on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged topics with same suggestions
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

gamergaminggamertime
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

turret networks

Post by gamergaminggamertime »

I want it so that I can set a up a idea were gates are open until a turret starts firing so that then they will close, if you REALLY wanted to you could set them with lasers only, I think it could open up base ideas and that would be nice

TLDR
I want networks to work with turret

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Connect turrets to circuit network

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
See also :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87921
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82635
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70371

rusty_howell
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Allow turrets to connect to the circuit network

Post by rusty_howell »

It would nice to connect turrets to the circuit network. This would allow one to set up circuits to monitor ammo stock and whether or not this unit is engaging the biters. This would affect all military buildings like gun turrets, laser turrets, flamethrower turrets, artillery turrets.
I'm thinking of the following options:

[ ] Read turret contents
[ ] Enemy Sighted (sent out as signal E )

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow turrets to connect to the circuit network

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I'm not arguing against this, but what would getting the ammo count from the turret give you that wiring to the feeding belts/chests wouldn't?

There are also some interesting setups that are able to detect biter presence: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=100826
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Turrets produce a circuit network signal

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same or similar suggestion.
Also :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82635 more devices with circuit network
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87921 Connect laser turrets to circuit network (for activity detection/control)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70371 Help enemy detection with circuit connected turrets
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71937 Artillery turets to be controllable by circuit.
On top of that, there are many suggestions for various entities to be connectable du the circuit network for reading and/or controlling purpose (assembling machines, roboports, ...

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Turrets produce a circuit network signal

Post by Dmytrozern »

TLDR.

Every turret in the game can trigger a circuit network if you can put a couple of combinators. Making it too easy is neglecting the whole idea of thinking through the system and the reward feeling you get when you get it done.

Personally, I remove the destroyed/damaged, and sometimes Shooting alerts replacing them with a speaker connected to turrets. And sometimes no radars(sometimes feel a bit OP for roleplay to see everything clearly).
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”