Re-Plant Trees

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Possibility to Plant Trees

Post by Hannu »

Koub wrote:
bobingabout wrote:One of the advantages of growing trees is also that they could spawn their own seedlings in neighbouring tiles. And grow themselves. Forests could repopulate themselves!
Until every single tile out of your base is totally covered with trees. Maybe not that good idea :mrgreen:
Reproduction should depend on density of trees. At low densities more woods would produce more saplings but at higher levels less and after some limit zero.

Vlado28
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Planteable Trees

Post by Vlado28 »

My idea is when you chop down the tree you will get wood and some seed for tree that you can place soo you could make farm on trees maybe for future game some automatic machine for planting and harvesting trees .

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Planteable Trees

Post by darkfrei »

Vlado28 wrote:My idea is when you chop down the tree you will get wood and some seed for tree that you can place soo you could make farm on trees maybe for future game some automatic machine for planting and harvesting trees .
Did you try Bio Industries?

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Trees normally grow far too slow; you've got to play hundreds of real hours to grow a wood.

You only may replant entire trees with a special machine...

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

If this isn't a duplicate, I'd be amazed. It seems like an obvious feature to ask for. Not necessarily one to implement, since it's a huge game balance issue.

Some trees can get pretty big in one year. Bamboo is even faster than that. No idea what kind of trees might grow on an alien planet, but assuming one could grow in a few months isn't absurd. At normal speed, 1 year factorio time is only 42 hours. (Check my math. The wiki didn't mention anything bigger than game days.) So replanting trees *could* work in a reasonable length game.

The biofactory industries mod sounds pretty nifty, but I'm focused on vanilla right now while I still have plenty of achievements to do.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

nljr wrote:If this isn't a duplicate, I'd be amazed. It seems like an obvious feature to ask for. Not necessarily one to implement, since it's a huge game balance issue.

Some trees can get pretty big in one year. Bamboo is even faster than that. No idea what kind of trees might grow on an alien planet, but assuming one could grow in a few months isn't absurd. At normal speed, 1 year factorio time is only 42 hours. (Check my math. The wiki didn't mention anything bigger than game days.) So replanting trees *could* work in a reasonable length game.

The biofactory industries mod sounds pretty nifty, but I'm focused on vanilla right now while I still have plenty of achievements to do.
It has been suggested before - many, many times.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

There's also a tree farm mod, which is automated, give it seeds it auto plants and grows trees, auto harvests and gives you wood back...
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Blu3wolf/Treefarm-Lite (oh that was outdated, though easy to update to 0.15)

https://mods.factorio.com/?q=tree 3 pages of tree mods

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Bamboo is a grass ;-)

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

Factoruser wrote:Bamboo is a grass ;-)
There's no reason to believe the trees of Factorio are NOT grass, but more likely, they're nothing even remotely related to our terrestrial trees, grasses or anything else. They look like trees, so we call them trees. And we can get something like wood from them, but we don't really know if it's cellulose.

Exotrees don't need to behave like our trees, and exowood may not be our wood.

Hell, for all we know, they don't even have seeds. They could be planted like potatoes, by cutting one up into little bits and burying them at a shallow depth.

Wolfie2367
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

i'd Like if it was possible to plant trees

Post by Wolfie2367 »

i like to keep my "Factory" clean, and in order (which can be hard) but something like planting trees could be nice, i don't know how hard it would be to implant and such, only a suggestion :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re-Plant Trees

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged like 4-5 topics about the same subject : request for the ability to plant trees. Out of pure laziness, only merged the 2017 topics, there are about as many in 2016, and probably the same since the beginning of Factorio.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: i'd Like if it was possible to plant trees

Post by darkfrei »

Wolfie2367 wrote:i like to keep my "Factory" clean, and in order (which can be hard) but something like planting trees could be nice, i don't know how hard it would be to implant and such, only a suggestion :D
Tree Brush [0.15]
With this mod trees will be placed randomly, needs raw wood for tree brush.

LukeM
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LukeM »

Sorry that this reply is a bit late, but I haven't been on the forums for a while :P

Just thought that I would add that you can refactor most code (unless something needs to actually happen every tick, or there needs to be some check for something that doesn't have an event) so that you don't need to update everything every tick if you use some sort of priority queue, then you just need to look at the first item and see if it should happen, if it should you do it then repeat, otherwise you know that you're finished.

The other problem, although usually a lot less impactful, is managing the queue efficiently. If events are being inserted early in the queue often then you dont want to be using a data structure that means you have to shift the rest of the queue up one to fit it in. To solve this, you can usually find a data structure that allows you to do what you want in O(log n) time or better, usually a heap or a balanced tree, which requires some knowledge of the theory behind them, but should be relatively easy to implement.

(Ive made a mod called TreeSaplings that lets you plant and/or automatically farm trees (and I'm open to more suggestions :)). It currently runs very well with hand planted saplings, and alright with auto farmed ones, although soon ill probably be redoing some of it as I've improved a lot since I wrote it, so should be able to make some improvements)

herkalurk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by herkalurk »

My thought is we are a space fairing civilization, but we can't put out more trees? Only cut them down? Sounds fishy to me...

HellGuy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Do you have any plans for trees?

Post by HellGuy »

My last session on a free play map, I wanted to be left alone and tried to place my pollution in forests to lower the hostile atraction. I did not want peace with the locals, but I did not want to kill them as well. This gave me the idea;

There can be some more interaction with trees such as planting them transporting them. Maybe paper production for some science !

PS: I could not find a relevant topic about this. I am sorry if I am late to come up such idea.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Do you have any plans for trees?

Post by darkfrei »

HellGuy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 am

There can be some more interaction with trees such as planting them transporting them.
Try this mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TreeBrush

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”