Faster Player Crafting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Faster Player Crafting

Post by MalContentFL »

The player crafts quite slowly compared to higher tier autocrafting, and there should be research that speeds up the player's crafting.
Player Crafting I: +25& crafting speed, Player Crafting II: +25% crafting speed. Total of +50% crafting speed from both research.
Or it could be an assembler unit in the Power Armors.
Last edited by MalContentFL on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Faster Player Crafting; Research or Module

Post by DerivePi »

I'm actually more inclined to a slower self crafting speed as the game develops. I like that the player becomes more dependent on the factory and less capable of self crafting items. For me, this is the best thing about the refinery and chemical plants. I get that some development should enable faster self-crafting, but only if it is coupled with a longer crafting time overall.

To me, self-crafting should be penalized over factory.

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Faster Player Crafting

Post by Ohlmann »

I agree. isn't the point of the game automation ?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I agree, that it can be sometimes a bit annoying to sit and wait. But it is part of the game to create automatics to shorten that time.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

I prefer player crafting to be much slower and also limit us to only being able to hand craft early game items.

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zequez »

I think the speed is OK. It incentivates the player to automate as much as possible. Pumpjacks don't seem to be the kind of thing you would automate, but after you have to build 20 and you have to wait like 10 minutes you realize that it's easier to just create a factory for each things. Besides, when you need to automate those kinds of things it's around the time you get the logistic network, and automating for low-demand things gets really easy.

atehxx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by atehxx »

If you want to cheat a bit then in console:
game.player.force.manualcraftingspeedmodifier = 1
change 1 to something else.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Marconos wrote:I prefer player crafting to be much slower and also limit us to only being able to hand craft early game items.
+1 for this

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

I'd like to see player crafting restricted to 1 or 2 component items and the basic assembly machine able to take 3. I've tried a no hand-crafting challenge and it was a lot of fun while strengthening the core gameplay. Some recipes would need to be adjusted for the start (You need AM2 to build AM1 right now). This would also give more purpose to the burner stage. While being more restrictive to freedom of play, it would add a lot to early progression. Assembly machines wouldn't be just about how fast they craft, but also determine what kind of advanced machinery you are capable of producing. Players would have a better sense of what 'tech level' they are at based on their manufacturing ability.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think all kind of those suggestions will end quite useful gameplay. I want to have them as a kind of "scenario game" or "predefined world", before I start playing.

Xcreeper23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Crafting Speed

Post by Xcreeper23 »

Joined, cause identical -- ssilk

There should be a research where you get the ability to craft faster. Not sure what would be a fair amount of science packs for it but I would like to see this implemented.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Crafting Speed

Post by sillyfly »

Why do you need this? Just make more Assembly machines, or put Speed modules in your existing ones!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Crafting Speed

Post by orzelek »

I'd like to have that kind of tech too.

I'm crafting most of the buildings by hand usually and in some mods you need to craft a lot for those due to higher marks requiring lower marks.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Welcome to handorio, the game where you do things with your hands ! :).
OK that was half a troll, but on a more serious note, I feel this should remain in the "mod" area.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See arguments at previous page. Factorio is a game about automation. Nearly every item you craft by hand is an item, that can be crafted automatic.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

ssilk wrote:See arguments at previous page. Factorio is a game about automation. Nearly every item you craft by hand is an item, that can be crafted automatic.
Only problem I have with that is that for a lot of those items it's simply not worth it to build fully automated factory. And then you hand craft them from intermediate components - which where improvement to speed would be useful.

It might be my approach to game - are you (plural) building automated production for things like all 4 marks of electric furnaces or mining drills (also 3 or 4 marks)?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There's only one mark of each ... in vanilla game :)
If you play mods that add contents that push you towards crafting things by hand, maybe should you suggest those mods to add accelereated handcrafting ... or create a mod that only does that. It's a simple line of code in the console to accelerate handcrafting.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, you're right: It is not worth building a fully automated factory for everything.

But this is not a problem. :)

Some arguments:
- You need to automate the intermediates. That is no question, that they must be automated!
- If you don't need to craft the intermediates (cause you have automated them, you remember?), most items take only one second. Pick up the intermediates and craft what you want within seconds. (*)
- It is also a matter of thinking forward: What do I need next? How much?
- If I don't craft anything now, so I craft either intermediates, or some mines, furnaces... some refineries.

(*) I see that also in many Lets plays: They pick up just iron and copper. No wheels, no circuits. Big fail! :)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Koub wrote:There's only one mark of each ... in vanilla game :)
If you play mods that add contents that push you towards crafting things by hand, maybe should you suggest those mods to add accelereated handcrafting ... or create a mod that only does that. It's a simple line of code in the console to accelerate handcrafting.
Yep I might just do that.
@ssilk - for some reason mod authors like their furnaces and similar stuff to take long to craft :D

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

I think the player crafting speed is about right at the moment. You can craft a few items yourself without problem, but anything higher-tier that is really useful takes a long time and urges you to automate.

I understand that some things do not need full automation; just build a chest with the necessary components next to the assembler and use inserters, that way, you only need to refill, but the crafting is done automatically.

I also think that the existence of a particular mod should never cause balancing changes to the main game. If the mod pushes things out of balance, it is the mod's responsibility to find mechanisms against that.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”