Electric Heater

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

lamhirh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Electric Heater

Post by lamhirh »

Hi.

With recent change to coal Liquefaction ( it requires steam now) i would humble ask the devs for an.... electric heater. I have this particular perversion of building 100% solar powered systems, and i don'l want any boilers destroying my view.

A simple electric heater that could connect to heat pipe would be awesome.

PS. I need my uranium for nukes. All of it. I am being serial. Nukes and nice glowing transport belts.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Electric Heater

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Boilers do not produce power. I don't see the problem, and the heat pipe is for superheated gas, not some hot air you'll get from an electric heater. But if you really don't want to see it, you can very nearly hide a single boiler within a clump of trees way off outside your base, and pipe the steam in to where you need it. A single boiler produces I think 60 steam per second, which is I think enough for 6 refineries.

saturn7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by saturn7 »

And you could use heater-tank-engine as an accumulator replacement, so it has other uses :)

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

agree because you have the electric furnace, so why not an electric boiler as well... => which will result in an infinite loop of power? so *offshore-pumps would need to require energy, which is another point...

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

dog80 wrote:agree because you have the electric furnace, so why not an electric boiler as well... => which will result in an infinite loop of power? so *offshore-pumps would need to require energy, which is another point...
Currently boilers are only (I believe) 50% efficient, so assuming electric ones would only by 50% efficient as well there is no possibility of "infinite power"

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Rockstar04 wrote:
dog80 wrote:agree because you have the electric furnace, so why not an electric boiler as well... => which will result in an infinite loop of power? so *offshore-pumps would need to require energy, which is another point...
Currently boilers are only (I believe) 50% efficient, so assuming electric ones would only by 50% efficient as well there is no possibility of "infinite power"
Your standard "stoker" fired boiler such as what is seen on locomotives and in traditional steam power is 50-70% efficient depending on the fireman's skill and how well maintained it is. Modern package boilers with automatic firing controls can reach 83% easily enough.

Electric boilers should be upwards of 90% efficient, as the only heat loss is through the insulation. They don't have exhaust gases or combustion efficiency to consider.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”