Disable dense forest starting zone

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Disable dense forest starting zone

Post by vtx »

Would be nice to have option to allow or not having dense forest in the starting area. It's annoying and a waste of time to cut tree to have access to ressource under it.

Since v0.15 forest are everywhere and dense forest have high tendency to be over ressource. The usefullness of tree are quickly obsolete as they serve no other purpose of wooden box and electric pole as recipe. Sure it absorb pollution but I don't see the utility in early stage of the game as pollution are minimal.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Disable dense forest starting zone

Post by leoch »

Regenerate the map a few times until you find one you like? At least it keeps any custom settings, so this is quick to do.

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

leoch wrote:Regenerate the map a few times until you find one you like? At least it keeps any custom settings, so this is quick to do.
It's allready something I do. With v0.15 it take triple the number of attempts to find a good map as it's no longer the case of having all required ressource near the start point or a patch of iron/copper big enought to my taste. It have now another layer forest free ressource and enought space to exit early stage.

The first of a good candidate map that I start playing, I check on the map for water with coal near it for energy station that was a little far away of me, when time come to install it I sadly discover that coal are under a dense forest and forest surround water coast. I restarted it, sure I should have explore that spot an error I did not make again.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

leoch wrote:Regenerate the map a few times until you find one you like? At least it keeps any custom settings, so this is quick to do.
Just restart, no need to regen. I think OP' s on to something, a couple restarts is normal-ish for me now, but tab-map-map with an esc-restart-enter until there's nothing missing was already a habit.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I don't think tree generation is any different. It was already extremely common to start in a thick forest back in 0.12 when I started playing. If it never happened to you before, that's the fluke.

It would be nice to have forests a bit less thick maybe, or have the starting area be less densely forested.

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

thereaverofdarkness wrote:It would be nice to have forests a bit less thick maybe, or have the starting area be less densely forested.
That exactly what I wish for, or at least do not place forest over ressource in starting area.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Reduce water slider, puts you in a desert, no trees anywhere.

Also, a game with no trees is a very bad idea for anyone playing in my mods, wood is critical.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”