Iron Stick... Just remove please

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Iron Stick... Just remove please

Post by Avezo »

It's barely used for anything, yet in those few cases it complicates things. What's the point?

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Iron Stick... Just remove please

Post by mophydeen »

Avezo wrote:It's barely used for anything, yet in those few cases it complicates things. What's the point?
tracks, lights

if sticks are complicated then why bother playing it at all.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

There's a resource which is much more "whatsthepointy" - Wood. Not "Raw Wood", but actual "Wood".

I suspect many players don't even consciously remember it exists at all. :-)

Thephedora
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Thephedora »

Tracks, tools, lights. Plus in order to make the stick is not so bad.

As for wood, Fuel. Harvest a forest cause it's in your way? Use said harvested forest for fuel.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

Lav wrote:There's a resource which is much more "whatsthepointy" - Wood. Not "Raw Wood", but actual "Wood".

you've got a point. you only use wood (the plates) in the first few minutes of a new game: poles, chests

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by redlabel »

Agree.

Stuff that is crafted with wood can just be crafted with logs. Stuff that requires iron sticks can just require Iron plates. I always end up with some left overs as well that just take space in my inventory.
✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

redlabel wrote:Agree.

Stuff that is crafted with wood can just be crafted with logs. Stuff that requires iron sticks can just require Iron plates. I always end up with some left overs as well that just take space in my inventory.
Agree.

Stuff that is crafted with steel can just be crafter with iron ore. Stuff that requires green circuits can just require stone. I always end up with some leftovers as well that space is dark.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mophydeen wrote:
Lav wrote:There's a resource which is much more "whatsthepointy" - Wood. Not "Raw Wood", but actual "Wood".

you've got a point. you only use wood (the plates) in the first few minutes of a new game: poles, chests
Unless you play my mod, then you start pulling your hair out because there's never enough wood.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

mophydeen wrote:
redlabel wrote:Agree.

Agree.

Stuff that is crafted with steel can just be crafter with iron ore. Stuff that requires green circuits can just require stone. I always end up with some leftovers as well that space is dark.
I see what you did there, but that's a slippery-slope argument that can go both ways. Why stop at iron sticks? I think we should have to craft bolts, nuts, rivets, a rivet gun, a screwdriver that you must have equipped to build anything, etc. It could take 8 hours of meticulous step-by-step crafting by hand to get out of the burner phase.

The reason sticks and wood are so reviled is that they are different than most any other thing in the game, in that they merely serve as busy work for 3 or so other things.

While we're on the topic, why is copper needed for electric poles, and not copper wire?

alexzzzz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alexzzzz »

5thHorseman wrote:While we're on the topic, why is copper needed for electric poles, and not copper wire?
Agree. I don't like recipes that produce final goods out of raw materials without use of intermediate products. And it's quite logical to use wires instead of copper plates for poles.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

alexzzzz wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:While we're on the topic, why is copper needed for electric poles, and not copper wire?
Agree. I don't like recipes that produce final goods out of raw materials without use of intermediate products. And it's quite logical to use wires instead of copper plates for poles.
small poles use wire, medium and big use plates.

This is because small poles don't need big copper conducting blocks. :roll:

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Rather than removing sticks, why not give them more uses?

saturn7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by saturn7 »

I agree, iron sticks don't really have a purpose in the game, except at being annoying. Some people like tons of intermediate products, but some mods scratch that itch much more than vanilla.

But maybe I'm biased in that I don't really like intermediate products with only few uses :)

Matthias_Wlkp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Matthias_Wlkp »

I disagree with OP. I would rather see more use for iron sticks (as other wrote - concrete). The same goes for wood - I would love to see wooden walls and wooden floors.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

I'm in the more uses camp, and there are a few mods which give it more uses. The Bio Industries mod uses it in concrete and Klonan's KS Power mod uses it in construction of wind turbines.

As for wood, yeah, it would be nice to see it get some more uses. Bio Industries has wooden fences and floors. I'd like to use it as input for pyrolysis processes to supplement or replace oil supply instead of just using it for train fuel. Heck, I'm seriously considering making a mod for the job.

Nulluhrzehn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nulluhrzehn »

The existance of iron stick has made me always produce lamps in even numbers, to not end up with a single iron stick in my inventory xD works great.
But you have a point, it's kinda stupid.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”