No overlap for map text labels

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

No overlap for map text labels

Post by Kelderek »

I would like to see the text labels that are on the map not overlapping each other. Perhaps the labels can be shifted around to ensure they don't obscure one another.

This is especially a problem for train stop labels in the map view, but I imagine it might be an issue for all other types of labels too, including new user-made ones. Vertical train stops that are in parallel will have their names completely mixed together in an unreadable fashion:
Map labels.png
Map labels.png (93.42 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
I know this is a problem that is handled in ARPG games whenever you have a loot explosion, they have an algorithm to display the names of items lying on the ground so that none of the names overlap. Perhaps a similar method can be used here. At the very least, if you mouse over the label you want it should show that one and hide the others (mousing over train stops, for example). I know the correct information shows on the right hand GUI window, but it would be nice if there was no overlap for the labels on the map view itself.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: No overlap for map text labels

Post by ssilk »

Yes, this is much more disturbing than this one:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46512 map UI cursor covering ore text

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mr. Mechanic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mr. Mechanic »

I'd like to second (third?) this - not only are station names unreadable, it's also hard to tell which of several are disabled. Perhaps if multiple stations with the same name are located close to each other a single label can be shown instead, with an 'enabled/total' count next to it?

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

I'm not sure if it's related, but I also have serious problems reading the pollution numbers in debug mode because they run over each other in all but the tightest zooms. The three numbers could be placed one over the other instead of on the same line.

I'm not sure if they'd share the code, but Monkey Squad does a fairly decent job of having text blocks avoid each other in the map view of Kerbal Space Program. It might be worth catching them at a GDC if nothing more.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”