map limited in only one direction

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

map limited in only one direction

Post by ichVII »

Hello,

I would like to have the possiblity to create a map, that is, for example, limited to the North by 500, but not at all limited to the south, east or west, like a half-plane and not like a stiff(i hope this Translation is correct).
This would allow a straight coast line while still being able to expand in 2 dimensions.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: map limited in only one direction

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

It's a cool idea, but there's an easy workaround already: make a map that is limited by north-south with a sufficiently large north-south dimension. Then travel on foot all the way to the north end before you start.

Make sure you set biter bases to be spread far enough apart to give you room to get started. RSO makes this much easier. Also be prepared to walk for a while. The mod AAI Vehicles: Hauler (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... les-hauler) and perhaps any other of those vehicle mods will give you a vehicle you can build right at the outset of the game, so that's useful if you've got a lot of distance to cover. You can edit the recipe for the vehicle if it's too difficult to build it, and then just never use it again once you arrive at your destination if you feel it's OP.

Be prepared to have a small starting area or have your resources spread out, and you might also have to scout around before you find a suitable spot to start. KS Power mod can enable you to start without water nearby. You can fend off early biter attacks with furnaces or other cheap buildings that you can walk between before you have a wall and turret setup going. If you place a group of turrets on the ground in a 2x2 or larger grid, you can jump between them and they will protect you from the biters while you can gun them down freely with a pistol or submachinegun.

I hope this gives you enough info to be able to create the map you wanted! Maybe the devs will implement this feature but if they don't (and they probably won't) you still have a workaround!

ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ichVII »

I am planning to build a self-expanding base with some mods. In order to handle water, I choose to take water only in starting area, becouse letting bots build over arbitrary water masses is really hard and ressource consuming. In order to get enough water, I now have the Option of taking any water well mod in, but that seems Kind of cheaty to me (I might reconsider this) or to use a limited map to have a straight coast line. But if ist limited in both directions (North and south), this subsitantialy llimits the growth of my factory.

Furthermore, if you have no starting ressources Patches and enemies in your new starting area, it will get quite annoying, not impossible, bbut that is not tthe Kind of map i have been looking for.

ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ichVII »

I understand, if the devs dont want to make th map creation window even more complicated, but if this could be added as a command for costumly generated Scenarios, eg "set_map_limit_north", I would really like that.

But it seems unlikely, that the a dev is going to read this soon as the post has not that many views.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

This would be a very easy mod to write. Just need to have settings for the max extents of the map, then stop chunks being generated where they shouldn't be.

You would want to catch new generated chunks in the dead zone and destroy them. To save some CPU, you would probably also want to flag a bunch of chunks in the dead zone as already-generated any time a chunk at the border gets generated.

If a few people comment in support of this idea, I'll write the mod.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

sparr you could add this to world mirror quite easily with the north/south mirror or east west mirror generating void or not generating/copying at all abone chunk 4/6/8 your choice

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”