Alerts display

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Alerts display

Post by DanGio »

Hello, I'd like to suggest a few tweaks for the new custom alerts display (Programmable speaker > Show alert) :

1 - Right now, when 2 alerts with different icons are on, only 1 icon appears at the bottom. I think all icons should be visible right next to each other for maximum "alert efficiency".

2 - Right now, when multiple alerts with the same icon and the same text are on, 1 icon appears at the bottom, fine, but the alert's tooltip displays all alert texts, like :
Our mine is running low.
Our mine is running low.
Our mine is running low.
Our mine has collapsed.
Our mine has collapsed.
I think it should display :
Our mine is running low. (3)
Our mine has collapsed. (2)
3 - Finally, in the last case (multiple alerts, 1 icon), clicking multiple times on the icon at the bottom should cycle view on the map between all alerts locations (currently it focus view on 1 alert location only, the first one).

Thank you for reading, sorry for not speaking english correctly !

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Alerts display

Post by Tekky »

The following thread is somewhat related to this suggestion, as it also involves a discussion about alert management:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46386 Dismissing alerts

_alphaBeta_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _alphaBeta_ »

I completely agree and elaborated in the same related thread from above here. Essentially it would be nice to have all alert icons be along the bottom of the screen or compiled elsewhere. Perhaps an option on a per-speaker basis that allows for icon stacking? This would allow the player to choose which alerts stack, and which ones have space to themselves on the screen for importance.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

We really do need the alert icon cycling through the various active alerts for this feature to be truly useful.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

NeilN wrote:We really do need the alert icon cycling through the various active alerts for this feature to be truly useful.
This. Alerts would be impossible to follow without it.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

BTW, if you're working on this, it'd be nice to have the option to display the signal output in the alert text.

theDirector
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by theDirector »

For mod-making (player.add_custom_alert) this is also relevant. Multiple custom alerts (with different signaID as icons) are all showing up under the first icon that is currently active. While it does show each alert's text on-hover, there's no way to click through each individual alert.

kbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kbk »

While trying to build a speaker alert system at my base I too stumbled upon the fact that there can be just one active icon for all player-defined alerts, which makes icon setting rather useless and global playback (+polyphony?) a choice for distinguishable factory-wide alerts. Although I've nothing new to suggest here, I really hope this issue gets escalated.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I would like to bump this old, but still very important reqest.
I would love to be able to see different type of alerts at the same time.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Agree, the way it is makes things … difficult:
multi-alert.png
multi-alert.png (84.66 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
The car icon in the alert only makes sense for the first message. Even worse: the different vehicles may be far away from each other. So which vehicle will be zoomed to in map view -- the first one that triggered the alert, or the last one?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

+1
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

+1
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”