I'd like to be able to see my corpse on the map.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

blavek
Inserter
Inserter

I'd like to be able to see my corpse on the map.

Post by blavek »

It would be nice to be able to locate your corpse or possibly others corpses on the map so that you know where to go to grab the items from them.
This could make corpse running a bit easier and if you died significantly far away from the spawn point you would be able to take the shortest path to your corpse so that you can get there before it decays.

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: I'd like to be able to see my corpse on the map.

Post by redlabel »

Good idea.

I would also like to add another suggestion: Make your name on the map a bit more visible or use a larger dot.. (or visible even when zoomed out, like big cities in google maps) Sometimes I can't even find myself in large maps with lots of players....
✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

theaetetus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make Corpses More Visible

Post by theaetetus »

Generally when you die, it's on top of a big pile of biter Corpses. Biter corpses seem to draw on top of your corpse if your MP buddy keeps up the good fight, turning corpse recovery into a Where's Dead Waldo mini game.

It would be really nice if the player corpse was drawn on top of biter corpses. Or glowed. Or retained /color in MP. Or had an obvious outline of some sort.

I haven't lost a corpse due to not being able to find it in time yet, but I've gotten really close many times already. It's only a matter of time. *crosses fingers*

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Make Corpses More Visible

Post by Ingolifs »

I think the way alien corpses are drawn over the top of other items in general is a problem. Aliens get into your base, destroy some belts and then you kill them and can't see which belts need replacing. Or you destroy an alien base on top of an oil field and cannot find where the oil deposits are.

I think Alien corpses need to decay in a similar manner to corpses in early RTS games. Rapidly turn into skeletons or become semi-transparent and colour desaturated. After their initial 'fresh corpse' animation frame, they're drawn underneath things like belts and items.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Also text-tags. Er, floating text, overtop of your corpse.
But yea, corpses need to decay quickly after Death.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

A death icon on the map would be a big help as well.
It would be preferable not to clear the icon when the body gets removed as well, so you can see all the places people have died :D

crelling
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Death marker

Post by crelling »

After my base startet to grow big, and I got a lot of fast moving trains that love to squash me whenever i cross the railtracks, I've found that it is occationally a bit difficult to find my corpse.

It would therefore be really helpfull if there was some sort of tagging on the map (maybee utilize the new map marker/tag system?) that tagged all my corpses (should only be vissible for the player whose corpse it is to help keep the map clean), and removed the tag again after the corpse was looted, or despawned.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

+1 for corpses being more visible or otherwise being able to find them again.
I did once find a corpse, but this is now the second one that I have no idea where it is.

Maybe the corpses decay too quickly too... it did take quite a few minutes to walk back to where the conflict was.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

dead humans should always get a chalk outline :P

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

It's purposefully not marked/highlighted because it adds a challenge to finding your body back after you die since otherwise there's no drawback to death.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Rseding91 wrote:It's purposefully not marked/highlighted because it adds a challenge to finding your body back after you die since otherwise there's no drawback to death.
Oh? In my experience, unless you get run over by a train, your corpse tends to be in range of something that can kill you, like, say, an enemy base with multiple big worms or similar.

You must now fight your way into the base and not die the second time, meaning a second set of combat equipment, AND mine the corpse (because there is no fast-transfer option)
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:It's purposefully not marked/highlighted because it adds a challenge to finding your body back after you die since otherwise there's no drawback to death.
Oh? In my experience, unless you get run over by a train, your corpse tends to be in range of something that can kill you, like, say, an enemy base with multiple big worms or similar.

You must now fight your way into the base and not die the second time, meaning a second set of combat equipment, AND mine the corpse (because there is no fast-transfer option)
Or open it and grab your stuff from the GUI. But yes, that's by design. Small balance points to getting all your stuff back after death compared to before you loose it all.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

After hundreds of hours...I... did not know I could find the corpse and recover the lost stuff. I had no idea. I didnt even think about it. Countless power armor mark 2s and stuff lost permanently due to my ignorance. Even when I hit a train, I never checked that place again. :oops:

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Mendel wrote:After hundreds of hours...I... did not know I could find the corpse and recover the lost stuff. I had no idea. I didnt even think about it. Countless power armor mark 2s and stuff lost permanently due to my ignorance. Even when I hit a train, I never checked that place again. :oops:
It dies after 15 mintes by default, and is a recient feature. I think 14 or 15
Rseding91 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:

Or open it and grab your stuff from the GUI. But yes, that's by design. Small balance points to getting all your stuff back after death compared to before you loose it all.
Yea, but you cant mass transfer, you have to click each item type.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

there's a way to open it in a gui? great I'll grab my pick out of it next time so I can mine it faster.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

fastest way to get all your stuff back is to click on the corpse, opening the UI. Then just control-click on an item 3 times.

First click transfers the item in the space.
Second click transfers as muchs a you can carry, equipping your armor.
third click transfers the rest of the items.

Sometimes you can get away with just two clicks (depends on where your armor is in the corpse), but just get in the habit.

Terukio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Terukio »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Mendel wrote:After hundreds of hours...I... did not know I could find the corpse and recover the lost stuff. I had no idea. I didnt even think about it. Countless power armor mark 2s and stuff lost permanently due to my ignorance. Even when I hit a train, I never checked that place again. :oops:
It dies after 15 mintes by default, and is a recient feature. I think 14 or 15
Rseding91 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:

Yea, but you cant mass transfer, you have to click each item type.
Shift left-click on one item to generate a blank spot if one is not already available. Then, shift left click on a blank spot to transfer all times.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Terukio wrote:
Shift left-click on one item to generate a blank spot if one is not already available. Then, shift left click on a blank spot to transfer all times.
Maybe i was panicking at the time, but thats what I always do. Double shift-left click does that, and while it works for chests, it didn't work for the corpse.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

+ mark to deconstruction every corpse.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

darkfrei wrote:+ mark to deconstruction every corpse.
o_O

Great idea...
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”