Crafting screen Pipette

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ingmarins
Inserter
Inserter

Crafting screen Pipette

Post by ingmarins »

When you hover an item in the crafting screen, it highlights any items of the same type in your inventory.
Sometimes I'm blind/lazy, so it'd help to press Q on the crafting item and have the item on cursor
2017_04_30_14_40_06_Factorio_0.15.4.png
2017_04_30_14_40_06_Factorio_0.15.4.png (2.9 MiB) Viewed 3831 times

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Crafting screen Pipette

Post by Nexela »

Even easier! pressing the craft button puts it in your hand if your hand is empty clicking again will craft it, clicking with any non matching item in hand or no match found will craft like normal,

ingmarins
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ingmarins »

Nexela wrote:Even easier! pressing the craft button puts it in your hand if your hand is empty clicking again will craft it, clicking with any non matching item in hand or no match found will craft like normal,
Maybe I wanted to craft X amount but it starts crafting electronic circuits, so I canceled and picked up ready circuits and started crafting again. With your suggestion I will have to click more. When I know had some somewhere in my inventory, I could press Q to find them without looking for them, when I know I had and isufficient amount, I can click to craft.

toorudez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Select factories from Crafting GUI

Post by toorudez »

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to press 'Q' in the crafting menu to select the building for that item? I think it would be handy.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Select factories from Crafting GUI

Post by Zavian »

Personally I think if a user pressed q whilst pointing at an item in the craft window you should grab a stack of those items from your inventory to your cursor. That would be consistent with the "Q"'s picker functionality.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Pick ghosts from hand production

Post by csduff »

TL;DR
Pick up ghost from you hand production

What?
I would like to be able to picked items up in ghost mode from the manual crafting area.

Why?
I find it irritating that I get to a location to build a new part of a factory, only to find out that I forgot one item. I don't have the resources on hand to manually build it, but would like to place a ghost so I don't forget where I wanted to place it. Rather than temporarily assigning a belt slot to the item so I can get a ghost, then assigning it back to what was there, it would be nice just to pick up an item (maybe with a middle-click?) from the manual crafting area.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pick ghosts from hand production

Post by Qon »

Yes, please.

I don't think it's possible to make a mod that does this. The gui events can only be used on custom made gui buttons, right?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm
Yes, please.

I don't think it's possible to make a mod that does this. The gui events can only be used on custom made gui buttons, right?
The only semi-usable semi-realistic hack i can come up with would be someething like "if player double-taps Q with empty cursor" (or some other hotkey) -> show a menu they can select an item from. But as the only pre-made "menu" of that type is chose-element buttons you'd always see all possible items, not only the ones already researched. And i'm not even sure if you can force opening of that from the script-side.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

eradicator wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 pm
The only semi-usable semi-realistic hack i can come up with would be someething like "if player double-taps Q with empty cursor" (or some other hotkey) -> show a menu they can select an item from. But as the only pre-made "menu" of that type is chose-element buttons you'd always see all possible items, not only the ones already researched. And i'm not even sure if you can force opening of that from the script-side.
It wouldn't even be that big of an issue if it was all entities that can be placed, even non-researched items. When I look for an item that is researched, but it's in a slightly different place because the rest of the items around it aren't researched, this can be a bit of a pain. As this would be a fairly advanced technique that new players would not yet be using, I don't think that there would be much of an issue showing all items. It would be nice if it was only placeable items, though, as I don't think there would be a need to manually place iron plates all around.

And, maybe ctrl/alt-Q. I know I often double tap Q to clear my cursor and pipette another item. It's why I hold construction/logistics drones in my hand, when I almost never need to.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

For double-tapping it could also be restricted to only work if you're not hovering anything that can be pipetted normally.
Btw, i'm just posting that as a possible mod implementation. I'm not saying i'm gonna write that mod myself (i'm not).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Pipette work for crafting list if "pick ghost item.." is set to yes

Post by blazespinnaker »

Hopefully this one is fairly obvious. The option "Pick ghost item if no items are available" is a terrific option, as pretty much everything is logistics when you have bots, and you're not constructing out of inventory anyways.

However, I find I have to search around my map to find the item to pipette when perhaps it would make sense to just pull it from the crafting tabs.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Pipette work for crafting list if "pick ghost item.." is set to yes

Post by pichutarius »

A workaround is set filter in hotbar.

Pipette doesnt interact with craft menu. Press Q basically interact with entities behind the menu, if there exist one. Changing this is big project, isnt likely to happen.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pipette work for crafting list if "pick ghost item.." is set to yes

Post by ssilk »

This is a feature I wish since 5 years. :? :roll:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Alternative, pipette from the logistic network inventory tab.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Also related : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14281
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Same suggestion as this one: 45724

Also very similar: 14281

PS: I am done for now :D
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:39 am

PS: I am done for now :D
😅
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

djiibe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Allow to use pipette tool from 'crafting menu' items

Post by djiibe »

Hi,

I think it would be very useful to being able to use pipette tool from 'crafting menu' items (character screen), for two reasons :
  • items from crafting menu never moves, so it's easier to find stuff as your inventory can be a mess
  • you often have items available on the logistic network, but not in your inventory, so it would allow to place a ghost item and then bots can build it
I know you can set a temporary logistic request or shortcut in the action bar to place a ghost item, but it's way simpler to just press your pipette shortcut while hovering an item and place it directly

Thanks for reading me, have fun

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two threads about using the pipette in the crafting menu.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

gienekman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Enable "Q" pipette tool to work in crafting menu.

Post by gienekman »

TL;DR
Press Q while in crafting menu to pull a blueprint of whatever item your mouse is hovering over.
Why ?
Later in game, when your bots do the building, keeping an item in inventory, or searching it on the map to "Q" select it while building blueprints is a pain.
This would remove the annoyance of keeping one stack of whatever you need to paste.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”