Modern Trains

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
ctnewmanfan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Modern Trains

Post by ctnewmanfan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Was just thinking about trains and realized very few trains nowadays burn their own fuel. They run on high voltage power lines above the track. It would be cool to see a higher tech option (fairly late game) for trains that run on electricity with rails that have overhead wires. You could have new electric locomotives and everything

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Modern Trains

Post by Lav » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:28 am

Er... plenty of trains burn their own fuel nowadays. It's way more efficient over large distances.

Apart from that, electric trains would be nice, for as long as their coal-per-mile effectiveness is worse than regular trains.

Nexarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nexarius » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 am

Good idea then we could also have a "accumulator wagon" so we don't have to run power lines everywhere. (more weight = slower acceleration)

I don't really see a good reason to give the electric trains worse efficencies ...?

roberwt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roberwt » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:45 am

This is already suggested so many times. There are a lot of mods which add this. But I dont see any real reason this should be added to vanilla.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:50 am

roberwt wrote:This is already suggested so many times. There are a lot of mods which add this. But I dont see any real reason this should be added to vanilla.
Main reason for having vanilla electric trains is that modded ones are usually hacked in one way or another.
Even allowing locomotive to pull power from it's own module grid would be enough I think (solar or fusion power would go inside).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk » Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Added to the ideas below electric trains in viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 am

The Hull railway electrification was cancelled because apparently diesel trains are fine.

Although a locomotive can't use any power source other than burner (the power_source tag was actually replaced with a new tag, "burner" in 0.15), what you can do is create a new type of fuel item, and "Burn" that in a locomotive. EG, You could add a fuel value to the battery, and set it as fuel category electric. Then in theory, you can have a battery operated locomotive. Could even have a nuclear powered trains!

This is all via modding by the way, suggesting built in electrified railways and electric locomotives is still a valid suggestion.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd » Tue May 02, 2017 1:38 pm

bobingabout wrote:The Hull railway electrification was cancelled because apparently diesel trains are fine.

Although a locomotive can't use any power source other than burner (the power_source tag was actually replaced with a new tag, "burner" in 0.15), what you can do is create a new type of fuel item, and "Burn" that in a locomotive. EG, You could add a fuel value to the battery, and set it as fuel category electric. Then in theory, you can have a battery operated locomotive. Could even have a nuclear powered trains!
There is another way.

In my yet-unreleased steam locomotives, I hooked directly onto the axle energy buffer. Like so I am able to 'burn' the fuel with water in a way suitable for a steam locomotive, and then buffer the resulting energy in a 'boiler' value that then feeds the axles.

Like so I was able to get somewhat realistic steam engine operations even with the limitations.

Electric and diesel hybrid locomotives have been desired for quite a while though.

Unfortunately, it seems that outside of metro areas the electric locomotives lose their way to diesels. The maintenance costs of electrification far exceeds the maintenance costs of diesel power. The electric holds an advantage in power to weight ratio that makes it well suited to the frequent stops and starts of a metro rail, but on longer lines the diesel wins in lowered operating costs over longer routes with less frequent stops.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Setha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Setha » Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Forget about the US when it comes to eletric trains...

The EU shows that long distance electric traction is not only possible but the (way) more efficient way of hauling goods.
Apart from generation electric traction is generally about 3 to 5 times more efficient than Diesel traction. The question is, if you are able to produce that electricity in an efficient manner (nuclear reactor *cough*) and if you are willing to invest in the necessary infrastrucutre.
It is damn expensive to electrify the tracks but once you have the wires its a lot cheaper to run the trains...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”