Disallow inserters from interacting with underground belts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Disallow inserters from interacting with underground belts

Post by Tekky »

Currently, inserters do not seem to care whether they are interacting with a normal piece of belt or a splitter/underground belt. They can take and put items onto the splitter/underground belt as if it were a normal piece of belt.

However, judging by the graphics, this should obviously not be possible:
u_belt.jpg
u_belt.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
splitter.jpg
splitter.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
The graphics of the underground belt implies that it has a roof, so that it should not be possible for an inserter to interact with it. The graphics of the splitter also implies that inserters should not be able to interact with it.

For my single player games, it has been easy for me to ignore this issue, by simply imposing the rule on myself that inserters should never interact with splitters or underground belts. However, since Factorio has now become multiplayer and is also becoming more competitive (PvP), I can no longer do this, because I must always try to use the most efficient layout that the game rules allow.

Therefore, I an in favor of changing the game rules by removing the possibility for inserters to interact with splitters and underground belts.

In order to allow backwards compatibility with previous games, an option or a mod could be created that allows inserters to interact with splitters and underground belts.
Last edited by Tekky on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Disallow inserters from interacting with splitters

Post by Koub »

Inserters indeed don't care whether graphics seem to make their move impossible or not, which can sometimes be misleading (same thing for side insertion on an underground belt).
However, I don't think that it needs so badly to be "corrected". It's a core mechanic. It could be solved by changing the graphic, or by disallowing the inserters to interact with some parts of the underground belts and splitters, but ... honestly, is it so important ? Such a shitstorm (sorry, maybe the term is excessive, but I can't find a better suited) for such a minor kwirk seems unnecessary.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Yes, this issue could also be resolved by changing the graphics. However, I really like the graphics of both the splitters and the underground belts. Therefore, I would rather be in favor of disallowing inserters from interacting with splitters and underground belts.
Koub wrote:honestly, is it so important?
I just find it ugly whenever I see an inserter interacting with an underground belt through the roof. This breaks immersion.

I am probably used to Factorio being very well polished in every respect, so that it is rather annoying in the few cases where it is not well polished. I guess I am being spoilt by Factorio's high quality. :)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

On second thought, maybe you are right that it would be better to change the graphics. Otherwise, I'm afraid many players would be angry when their favorite blueprints don't work anymore.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Easiest graphic change might be to have the inserter arm swing stop at the input end of the segment, but it's even easier to just say that that's where the hand operates, at the input end where it could clearly put/take items , and the arm swing continues all the way to vertical because inserters are ambidextrous and can continue or return.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I point to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=32665 Make Underground Belt Magic More Visible

@Tekky: Especially I don't understand, why you don't seem to have problems with the inserter is grabing into the assembler, furnace etc. - which looks into my eyes much more unrealistic - but a problem with the inserters into splitters/ug-belts. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ricktor16
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ricktor16 »

Yeah, I personally like how I'm able to add an additional layer of complexity by allowing my inserters to grab and drop right onto underground belts. Removing this would require a massive rework of my entire factory.

I think the easiest fix is a massive graphics overhaul where each factory, etc. has output and input slots that dynamically update based on where you place the inserters. Then special graphics for the splitters and underground belts that make things more realistic. /sarcasm :)

I'm personally totally fine with how it works, even if it doesn't look totally realistic (does anything in the game look perfect?)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

ssilk wrote:@Tekky: Especially I don't understand, why you don't seem to have problems with the inserter is grabing into the assembler, furnace etc.
Damn, now that you have pointed that out, I am now unable to play the game without a mod which removes the roof off assemblers.

Just kidding. :)

Actually, now that you have pointed that out, it is a little easier for me to tolerate an inserter moving things through the roof of the underground belts.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

After spending a further several months playing Factorio, I must say that I find that this issue increasingly annoying.

Since Factorio is all about finding the most efficient and compact layouts, it would make sense that there should be certain rules in place which prevent players to "cheat" by doing absurd things, such as placing items directly into a splitter/underground belt. The graphics (and common sense) clearly suggest that it should only be possible to place items onto the belt before or after a splitter/underground belt, but not directly into it.

Because the game allows players to "cheat" in this way, it is my strong opinion that the game offers the players too much freedom in this respect.

Also, in my opinion, it causes the game's graphics to look ugly, when the game allows layouts which the graphics imply should not be possible.

Whenever I see someone use such "cheaty" and ugly layouts in multiplayer games, it breaks immersion for me every time.

I really like the current graphics. Therefore, in contrast to what I stated before, I am no longer in favor of changing the graphics to imply that such "cheaty" actions are possible. I am instead in favor of disallowing inserters (and miners) from placing items directly into inserters/underground belts.

As I stated before, I realize that this will cause many people's bases from functioning. However, this issue of backward compatibility could be resolved by introducing a less restrictive game mode (which is disabled by default) or by requiring users to download a mod which lifts these restrictions.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Koub wrote:but ... honestly, is it so important ? Such a shitstorm (sorry, maybe the term is excessive, but I can't find a better suited) for such a minor kwirk seems unnecessary.
Let me illustrate:

In this post of yours, you posted the following screenshot:

Don't you agree that such a layout is very ugly, because it does something that the graphics imply should not be possible?

Whenever I see such layouts, it breaks immersion for me very time.

I strongly believe that Factorio would be much more pleasant without such "ugly" or "cheaty" layouts.
Last edited by Tekky on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The devs have already shown that even if backwards compatibility is something they try to keep, they will break this backward compatibility if they feel it's necessary to make a better overall game. That's why Factorio is still considered in alpha.
Examples of breaking backwards compatibility ?
- steam boiler change with 0.15
- in 0.12 (if i'm not mistaken), belts went from dropping items one tile after the last belt tile to items remain on the belt when they get to its end. Seems minor, but broke factories a lot
- Size shift of turrets (now they are 2x2, back in 0.12 or 0.13, gun and laser turrets had different sizes (one was 2x1, and the other 1x1 iirc)

So devs will change things if they feel they must. However, it's their choice. I guess there could be a mod that would prevent interaction between inserters and splitter/ug belts. Maybe would that be enough ?

Currently, the devs seem to consider it's a clever use of the game's possibilities, and approve its usage (if I'm not mistaken). Should they change their minds, then well ... it's their choice again :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Veklim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Veklim »

Hrm, I wonder do you also take issue with side-loading belt to UG belt layouts such as is used in almost every lane balance design I have used/seen. The graphics don't particularly lend themselves to this behaviour either, and yet I would be very interested to see your 'non-cheaty' method of lane balance if this is the case.

The graphics aren't always going to perfectly represent the function of an item, for instance, flamer turrets have a permanent pilot light at the end of the barrel, yet they don't have a constant (if tiny) fuel drain as a result. Now the graphics are suggesting you can have infinite fire with no fuel! When you put rails through a gate in a wall the gate seems capable of magically transversing the rails without causing major derailments every time they're used. You can only fit 40 stacks of items in a train wagon, and yet a single one of those item slots can hold 5 train wagons.

The list is a long one and I'm not going to go through it all, it merely serves to demonstrate a simple fact, Factorio is a game, and as such will do things beyond reasonable 'realistic' expectation. The idea of changing inserter behaviour and removing a large and useful mechanic in the game because it 'doesn't quite look right' is somewhere between pedantic and absurd, but that's just my opinion.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

In principle, insertes really should not directly interact with splitters, but with the underground belts it's an important mechanism. If you think it's too ugly, just don't use it this way. On the other hand, the graphic of the roof might be made smaller, though, but that's just cosmetic.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Veklim wrote:Hrm, I wonder do you also take issue with side-loading belt to UG belt layouts
I certainly do, as do other people. Please see the following thread for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48047 Underground belt lane splitting, anyone else hate it?

Here is a quote of what I said on that thread:
Tekky wrote:I also agree that underground belts being used as belt lane splitters is very ugly.

I like it that this feature exists, because it is an important feature. However, this feature should be integrated into the game in some other way, using a different entity (for example a programmable splitter).