Map Overlay for empty turret warning

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Karosieben
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Map Overlay for empty turret warning

Post by Karosieben »

Suggestion:

As we do have toggable map overlays now it would be helpful to see turrets, which are out of ammo.

Reason:

It's kinda annoying to check everywhere, if there is enough ammo. I know, I could automate it, but I'm working on lasers ;)
My german YouTube Channel: Karosieben
My Factorio Let's Plays: Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Tutorials

zabszk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Map Overlay for empty turret warning

Post by zabszk »

+1 It will help a lot.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I'm not sure if I agree. In the early game, where you have a small amount of turrets that are all not automated, I would find it useful. However, in a game with hundreds or even thousands of automated turrets, I don't want to receive a notification whenever a single turrets runs out of ammo for a short period, due to some (probably temporary) shortage in the automated supply. I'd rather only receive a notification when my ammo reserves of my automated supply are low, which I can easily program myself using the circuit network and a programmable speaker.

Probably the best solution would be to be able to connect the gun turret itself to the circuit network, in order to be able to read its ammo contents, and then use it in conjunction with a programmable speaker. However, I doubt that this will be implemented, because this setup is already possible by adding a chest and an inserter to every gun turret and reading the contents of the chest.

Karosieben
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Karosieben »

Well, I didn't mean a notification like the beep beep for construction robots.

I meant a simple visual overlay for the big map, so you can look it up, but don't get annoyed by alerts.
My german YouTube Channel: Karosieben
My Factorio Let's Plays: Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Tutorials

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Ah, yes, if it is only a toggleable overlay and that is off by default, then I have no objections to your suggestion.

Maybe it should use the turret overlay, but turrets without ammo are dispalyed in a different color?

However, how should turrets that have ammo, but are very low, be displayed? Hmmm, maybe turret ammo should have its own overlay, so that you can see the ammo amount better.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”