Programmable Inserter

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Telarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Programmable Inserter

Post by Telarin »

The programmable inserter would be a more advanced inserter, that allows for more complicated setups.
It would be fairly expensive to make, I am thinking requiring 1 smart inserter and 5 or 10 processor units.
It would require a new technology level, needing 200 Purple Science Packs, in addition to appropriate lower leveled science packs.
The stock programmable inserter would have two programmable slots. Each slot would allow for the user to set a filter (only a single item type). The user could also select the input and output direction for each programmable slot. The user could then set conditions for red and green wire networks and the logistic network, similar to what the smart inserter allows.
The two programmable slots would operate independently. If the first slot's condition was met, then it would move the first item from the input to output side. If the first slot's condition was not met, then it would try the second slot.
The inserter would have two module slots. Speed modules would increase the operating speed of the inserter. Efficiency modules would reduce the energy consumption of the inerter. Effectivity modules would add additional programmable slots.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Programmable Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

This is actually a fairly good idea. Not the cost, who the hell would spend 10 processing units on an inserter, but the part about "programming". Being able to set the direction (and distance) in which items are dropped would make it a very versatile inserter on its own, and together with the ability to set the direction and distance of drop different for each item, it would be godsend.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... rter&fid=6

... and there are surely more, if more searched.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

I went through the search and it appears there are none, actually. The only thread other thread that's about inserters is the Modular Inserters one but that is an entirely different idea that's not even that close.

I don't like thread duplication just as much as you, ssilk, but sometimes it might pay off to first search through the link you post. ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry for misunderstanding: I posted the link to show some articles, which might be inherited and to bring in some ideas from there. When I think it is a thread duplication it looks a bit different: I make direct links and say, that it is the same, or just join the article.

I didn't that in this case. But, well, seems like I need to make more explanations in future.

It is for a very interested moderator sometimes really difficult to distinct, if he is now moderator or a just a user. I've heard some use two accounts to make that clear, but that sounds for me like a nightmare. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Oh, I'm sorry! I understand that for the single moderator of such an active community as this one, it's a rush to read through all the comments to decide where you need to act and which threads are okay. What do you is not easy and I think we are all grateful to have you here. :)

I can see the trouble with using two accounts, having to switch whenever you wanted to say something would take even more time and would be very annoying.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”