Suggestion: Circuit Connection to Nuclear Reactor

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Suggestion: Circuit Connection to Nuclear Reactor

Post by bk5115545 »

Suggestion:
Allow a circuit-network connection to the new nuclear reactor to read temperature.

Reason:
I'm finding it very hard to automate efficient fuel usage when running off of multiple forms of power.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Suggestion: Circuit Connection to Nuclear Reactor

Post by OdinYggd »

The mod "Reactors" had provided useful info such as core temperature and throttle % over circuits.
They also accepted circuit inputs for manual throttle and shutdown.

It would be nice to have similar capabilities on the vanilla reactor, that way it can be integrated properly into an energy management solution.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Karosieben
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Karosieben »

It would be very helpful, to be able to read the temperature and the contained inventory of the reactor.

This would make it mouch more versatile.
My german YouTube Channel: Karosieben
My Factorio Let's Plays: Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Tutorials

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I have the same problem.

Currently, in order to manage the reactor efficiently, I would have to setup a timer using the circuit network in order to prevent feeding additional fuel to the reactor and to determine when it is time to feed the reactor with more fuel. If my (unverified) calculations are correct, a reactor requires a new unit of fuel every 200 seconds and I should never feed it more fuel, otherwise I would be unable to turn it off using the circuit network.

However, I'm not sure if being able to read the temperature should be the main reason to connect it to the circuit network. I believe it would be more important to be able to determine the size of the input stack of fuel already inside the reactor, because that would make it unnecessary to create a timer as described above. This would also be important for efficient uranium enrichment, to be able to ensure that every centrifuge is given only 40 Uranium-235 instead of 120.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

also want the circuit connection to the reactor, reading all information,
also a circuit connection to be able limit how many u235 the centrifuge can take
would both be great additions.

while on the wish list it would be great to have a circuit connection that can read MW/GW usage, perhaps average and current levels?

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

Tekky wrote:Currently, in order to manage the reactor efficiently, I would have to setup a timer using the circuit network in order to prevent feeding additional fuel to the reactor and to determine when it is time to feed the reactor with more fuel. If my (unverified) calculations are correct, a reactor requires a new unit of fuel every 200 seconds and I should never feed it more fuel, otherwise I would be unable to turn it off using the circuit network.

However, I'm not sure if being able to read the temperature should be the main reason to connect it to the circuit network. I believe it would be more important to be able to determine the size of the input stack of fuel already inside the reactor, because that would make it unnecessary to create a timer as described above. This would also be important for efficient uranium enrichment, to be able to ensure that every centrifuge is given only 40 Uranium-235 instead of 120.
I was thinking of using temperature because the temperature only goes down while the reactor is in use. Through the current items that work on the circuit network (power switch, accumulator) along with the current temperature (only calculable after this suggestion) then you can decide to insert a single fuel cell.
Making a timer isn't that hard right? Isn't it just 4 or 5 combinators and then another 2 for a short-circuit reset? It could probably be much smaller but I'm not great at circuits in this game.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

bk5115545 wrote: Making a timer isn't that hard right? Isn't it just 4 or 5 combinators and then another 2 for a short-circuit reset? It could probably be much smaller but I'm not great at circuits in this game.
Easiest way I've found is to make a counter- and then have it count 1 item on a 4 tile belt loop. Like so it will always count up at a set rate, and you can calculate a relationship between count and ticks in-game to give you a time value. Doing this needs 4 yellow belts, 5 circuit wires, and 1 decider combinator- a decider is better here because you can give it a condition for resetting it.

Setha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Setha »

Yes, please!

Given how the new vanilla reactor works, a way to read out the core temperature is practicly a must if you don't want to either have shutdowns while refueling or almost unevitable overburn...

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

After thinking about the problem a bit more, I do now agree that it would also be important to be able to read the temperature of the reactor from the circuit network.

In my current game, I don't think I need to be able to read the temperature, since it will always be below 600, due to me only using the reactor from time to time when my solar power is not sufficient. However, I can imagine that in situations where the reactor is used more frequently, it would also be important to be able to read the temperature.
bk5115545 wrote:Making a timer isn't that hard right? Isn't it just 4 or 5 combinators and then another 2 for a short-circuit reset? It could probably be much smaller but I'm not great at circuits in this game.
Creating the timer itself requires only a single arithmetic combinator set to A + 1 and outputting A and then connecting the output to the input. Then the virtual signal A will increment by 1 per tick (i.e. 60 per second). You only require additional combinators in order to reset or pause the timer.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Tekky wrote:After thinking about the problem a bit more, I do now agree that it would also be important to be able to read the temperature of the reactor from the circuit network.

In my current game, I don't think I need to be able to read the temperature, since it will always be below 600, due to me only using the reactor from time to time when my solar power is not sufficient. However, I can imagine that in situations where the reactor is used more frequently, it would also be important to be able to read the temperature.
The control strategy I have in mind lacking the ability to directly turn the reactor on and off would be to set the inserters to stop adding fuel whenever the core rises above the correct temperature for a loaded reactor. Like so it will remain hot when not in use- because it will get hot and just sit there waiting for a load to be connected.

I guess it is possible to do like some people have suggested and buffer the steam in a tank, then turn the reactor on and off as needed to maintain that level.

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

Heatr pipe connection: read temp
Reactor connection: % depleted

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”