Schematics in Factorio. Share your creations with a Download

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Schematics in Factorio. Share your creations with a Download

Post by MalContentFL »

I see so many cool builds in the "Share your Creation" Thread, but there isn't really a good way to build them in game. Copying the design from a picture is hard and construction drones can't do it, yet.

Short Summary:
A new item unlocked from research that allows for the building of Schematic Files using a Schematic Replicator and Construction drones. Schematics are files that are saved in a Factorio subfolder names schematics. Create schematics in-game with the press of a button. Select an area that you want to be a schematic. When you are done, a text box appears, asking you to name it. Then it is saved to the folder "schematics". Attach it as a file on the forums for all to see and enjoy.

Longer Explanation:
In the Factorio folder in %appdata% (Or similar folder on Mac and Linux), a folder called schematics is where Schematic Files are saved and placed for in-game use. In game, the Schematic Planner (Unlocked from Schematic Replication, a predecessor to the Construction Drones Research) will replicate a design from the selected Schematic File (In the Schematic Planner GUI). Construction Drones are deployed to build it (I haven't played with them much, but if they are naturally launched from Roboports, them a nearby Port with the builder in range would send drones). The Planner builds the design from the bottom left corner to the top right, so place it accordingly.

In the Schematic Planner interface, it shows the required resources, which get delivered by Logistics Bots or by Inserters. When it finishes, on the Top Left of the screen it would say: "(Schematic Name) has finished Construction."

To make a Schematic File for a design, maybe an In-Game key or an external program would make it from an area. For example, press F5 and it dims the screen a bit. Left-Click and drag. When you release the Left Mouse Button, a Dialogue Box pops up so you can name it, then it saves to the Factorio\schematics folder in %appdata%. Schematic files might be quite large sometimes, so a size limit would have to be set: 35x35? or 50x50.

On Factorio Forums, Schematic Files could be attached and displayed just like pictures can. Clicking them would download it or something. An awesome, new way to share your creation with Factorio.

In sandbox mode, selected schematics auto build without the need for resources. In the GUI, this can be toggled though.

I was inspired by MC-Edit, a external Minecraft program that allows editing to the game that Minecraft can't do by itself.
Last edited by MalContentFL on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Downloadable Schematic Files for Factorio

Post by ssilk »

I don't understand why you need to vote for that. A suggestion needs no vote, it needs opinions. I suggest to close the vode.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”