Add a logarithmic display option for production/consumption graph.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Add a logarithmic display option for production/consumption graph.

Post by Artman40 »

If you look at production graphs, you'll notice that majority of lines in the dynamic graph representing objects tend to be near the bottom and often it's hard to tell them apart. It would be nice to turn on/off a logarithmic graph so it would be easier to see them.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Add a logarithmic display option for production/consumption graph.

Post by Nemoricus »

This would be a very nice option to have.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Question: Does it need rough numbers or something else on the side of the graph?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19987 More Game Information (Statistics, Monitoring, Graphs)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Logarithmic scaling for graphs

Post by Rakshasa »

Add option to view production/fluid/etc graphs with logarithmic scaling.

Why? Because of obvious.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

goodolrock
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by goodolrock »

+1, please! Registered on the forums to make this request myself.

Why: It enables you to easily compare production/consumption patterns across items with volumes at different orders of magnitude. E.g., is /how is this cyclical pattern in my copper plate production impacting my production of satellites? With a log scale, you can easily see the relevant changes where on a linear scale the item with lower volume would look like a nearly flat line.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Despite our brains are working more on a logarithmic scale, I find it very difficult to read a logarithmic graph. I can understand it, but it needs significant effort and continuous translation, whereas regular linear scale reads by itself.
As long as default graphs are linear and people choose explicitely log display when they know what they are doing, I'm fine with it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I think that while our subconscious does work on log scale (including senses, like sight, hearing...), but our conscious mind is instead much better at handling linear scale ?
(+1 anyway, for previously cited reasons.)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Koub wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:55 am
Despite our brains are working more on a logarithmic scale, I find it very difficult to read a logarithmic graph. I can understand it, but it needs significant effort and continuous translation, whereas regular linear scale reads by itself.
As long as default graphs are linear and people choose explicitely log display when they know what they are doing, I'm fine with it.
I mostly use production graph to ensure everything is ok regardless of absolute values, neither linear nor logarithmic. I just want to know whether production is stable or it’s rising, or falling, or stopped at all. If the graph is falling unexpectedly, I go to check production line even without looking at the numbers, so there’s no effort to decode the complex scale. But. I’s impossible to notice any production change if almost all lines are concentrated into 5 pixels in the very bottom. Now I have to switch off top production one by one until I examine all important things. That’s awkward. I want to see ALL production graphs at once. Logarithmic scale allows it.
Nevertheless, linear scale is useful too. I want them both. How about a simple checkbox on the corner?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

+1 for opt-in logarithmic scale on production and consumption statistics.

Default should stay linear scale. Otherwise too many people unfamiliar with logscales will be too confused about what they see in the statistics.

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Olacken »

+1 for an opt-in option aswell

Also is it possible to modify vanila gui with mods cause if it is maybe I will do it myself

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

+1 from me as well. As an option or toggle button that would definitely help to get a better view of the different production levels

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

planetmaker wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am
+1 from me as well. As an option or toggle button that would definitely help to get a better view of the different production levels
Adding my +1 to this as well - I think it's useful and important cause I get into the same issue of removing the top producers one- by-one too
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

coppercoil wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:44 pm

I mostly use production graph to ensure everything is ok regardless of absolute values, neither linear nor logarithmic. I just want to know whether production is stable or it’s rising, or falling, or stopped at all. If the graph is falling unexpectedly, I go to check production line even without looking at the numbers, so there’s no effort to decode the complex scale. But. I’s impossible to notice any production change if almost all lines are concentrated into 5 pixels in the very bottom. Now I have to switch off top production one by one until I examine all important things. That’s awkward. I want to see ALL production graphs at once. Logarithmic scale allows it.
Nevertheless, linear scale is useful too. I want them both. How about a simple checkbox on the corner?
planetmaker wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am

Adding my +1 to this as well - I think it's useful and important cause I get into the same issue of removing the top producers one- by-one too. Also making it a toggle option and not default will ensure is only used by those that want / need it for the above reasons
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

yesennes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yesennes »

+1 Came to this forum to find or make this suggestion. I found I wanted this trying to see if dips in rocket control units production were corresponding to dips in circuit production, but couldn't because when circuit production was displayed at the same time as rcu production, the rcu production only took up a couple of pixels at the bottom of the graph.

I think people might find the log scale to be more readable than they think. Mostly when I'm looking at the graphs, I'm looking for proportional changes, not exact numbers, and log scales still display that alright. And no matter how bad your brain is at reading log scales, I promise its worth at making sense of lines that change no more than a couple of pixels at the bottom of a huge graph.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

+1

Not because it's necessary, but because it's so cool AND so useful!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”