Rename "Advanced circuit" to "Integrated circuit"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

loup-vaillant
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rename "Advanced circuit" to "Integrated circuit"

Post by loup-vaillant »

The current circuits naming is a bit inconsistent:
  • Electronic circuit
  • Advanced circuit
  • Processing unit
It would seem "Advanced circuit" was a placeholder term, for which no good name was found at first. With "Integrated circuit" instead, we get this:
  • Electronic circuit
  • Integrated circuit
  • Processing unit
Which I believe is more consistent and more immersive. It also happens to match the evolution of actual electronics. ;)

Subsidiary question: I bet we can easily make a mod for this kind of stuff. How so?

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rename "Advanced circuit" to "Integrated circuit"

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

No, no, no, *no*.

"Integrated Circuit" when I need 4 tiles for a simple SR flip-flop?

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

seems reasonable, and I think you can do it with like 1 line of code.... *opens up another mod for example*

okay something I was working on with someone to force people to get the no lasers achieve (literally all the code you need to do that)

Code: Select all

data.raw["technology"]["laser-turrets"]["unit"]["ingredients"] = {
  {"science-pack-1", 1},
  {"science-pack-2", 1},
  {"science-pack-3", 1},
  {"production-science-pack", 1},
  {"high-tech-science-pack", 1},
  {"space-science-pack", 1}
}
there's a list of internal names here https://wiki.factorio.com/Internal_object_names so swap out to "advanced-circuit" and probably "item" not "technology" but I'll double check *ten minutes looking though game files and finally opening data/base/prototypes/recipe/recipes.lua and /prototype/technology/technology.lua* no it's actually "recipe" and then you need to do name = "Integrated Circuit" Which comes down to

data.raw["recipe"]["advanced-circuit"]{name = "Integrated Circuit"}
Then you need to pack it into a mod voila. (so long as it doesn't delete the other components of it you'll be fine)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41247 Rename Discussion
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Jürgen Erhard wrote:No, no, no, *no*.

"Integrated Circuit" when I need 4 tiles for a simple SR flip-flop?
I agree that 2x1 entities for simple logic functions is silly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, those should simply be a single multi-use entity where when you open them up are presented with an 8x8 grid, and in each square you can choose a function, and wire them back to other squares, similar to how the PAL16V8 chip works IRL. (and although that has 8 inputs and 8 input/output lines, the entity would likely only have a red and green input and output, similar to now)
JohnyDL wrote:seems reasonable, and I think you can do it with like 1 line of code.... *opens up another mod for example*

okay something I was working on with someone to force people to get the no lasers achieve (literally all the code you need to do that)

data.raw["technology"]["laser-turrets"]["unit"]["ingredients"] = {
  {"science-pack-1", 1},
  {"science-pack-2", 1},
  {"science-pack-3", 1},
  {"production-science-pack", 1},
  {"high-tech-science-pack", 1},
  {"space-science-pack", 1}
}
there's a list of internal names here https://wiki.factorio.com/Internal_object_names so swap out to "advanced-circuit" and probably "item" not "technology" but I'll double check *ten minutes looking though game files and finally opening data/base/prototypes/recipe/recipes.lua and /prototype/technology/technology.lua* no it's actually "recipe" and then you need to do name = "Integrated Circuit" Which comes down to

data.raw["recipe"]["advanced-circuit"]{name = "Integrated Circuit"}
Then you need to pack it into a mod voila. (so long as it doesn't delete the other components of it you'll be fine)
1. that would change the recipe's name, not the item name
2. actually changing the "name" tag is a bad idea, it would break everything.

The easiest way to change it is to use Locale entries, and simply set the following code in a locale file.

[item-name]
advanced-circuit=Integrated circuit
The end result will be a perfectly working advanced circuit, that apears to be named "Integrated circuit" instead.
Actually changing the internal name would require a lot of messing about. I tried to do that with my electronics mod once... now I just butcher the base game's locale name, recipe and icon.

Note, in my mod they are actually called "Logic circuit board", and one of the components is a chip like device named "integrated circuit".
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

bobingabout wrote:1. that would change the recipe's name, not the item name
2. actually changing the "name" tag is a bad idea, it would break everything.
I thought everywhere that was identifying what the thing was would use the "advanced-circuit" and name would just be for mutable display purposes, but then there are multiple ways to make some items and it looks like that identifies the recipe not the item so searching by this field for "solid-fuel" might only produce the one recipe look up not all 3 so I get it
and you know a lot more than me thanks for the enlightenment

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”