Equipment maintainance

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

EducatedShip13184
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Equipment maintainance

Post by EducatedShip13184 »

Certain mechanic equipment (belts, inserters, assemblers, plants, rails , everything that works in cycles or passes) should need resources to maintain.
After a number of working cycles/passes these items may need application of special maintaince packs to keep current level of performance.
There may be different maintainace packs based on different ingredients.
Different equipment would need different sets of maintainance packs.
This feature will make factory growth more challenging.

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Equipment maintainance

Post by vtx »

The idea seem more tedious than challenging. Nothing challenging in micro-managing everything in a game untill you reach robot. After robot nothing difficult in that, at most it's another way of ressource sink. In my opinion.

Something similar exist in mod Wear and Tear : https://mods.factorio.com/mods/withers/WearAndTear .

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Equipment maintainance

Post by SyncViews »

Resource sink that scales with factory size could be a good thing, behind a difficulty setting.

Essentially like how in other building games you need money to pay for buildings/workers after the initial "build cost", and so adds the difficulty of making a "profit", with "higher tier" buildings needing more expensive maintenance than basic ones (maybe a building needs it original construction materials every x hours for spare/replacement parts). Could apply to everything buildable.

Gives a reason/challenge to only build what is required and be efficient (and being a difficulty setting, one that is up to the player). For example not having idle assembly 3's and express belts because it was just easier to copy/paste the blueprint a dozen times than think about whats really needed.

Not sure about the "before robot" problem though (or stuff along long tracks where don't have logistics), of course having to manually repair stuff all the time is very bad. Maybe have long range construction/maintenance bots right from the start.

I did look at the mod briefly, but were things I didn't like a bunch of things and its not open-source, so until I have time to make something from scratch only been thinking of ideas.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”