Start combinator operand entry window text focus at op value

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Start combinator operand entry window text focus at op value

Post by quyxkh »

When a combinator constant's up for editing, select and focus the current value so you can click-type-enter rather than click-move-clickdrag-type-enter. click 1 enter is lots nicer than click move clickdrag-or-doubleclick-but-don't-forget-to-do-one-or-the-other-because-just-clicking-then-typing-1-will-do-something-you-probably-didn't-mean 1 enter ...
Last edited by quyxkh on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Set keyboard focus for constant value input

Post by ssilk »

You mean:
- Open some requester (constant combinator, requester chest ...)
- Click on slot.
- Choose item.
- Press enter.
- Focus is on number-input, all numbers selected.
- Change as known.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

I've got one early-game setup with dozens of each-to-each combinators, and I can set one up, shift-rclick on it, and shift-lclick on the rest bangbangbangbangbang. Then it _could be_ select a combinator, type the constant, pick the operation, done. That's what I'm asking for.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. :)
Maybe it's me and someone understood and can help?
Maybe you can provide screenshots of what you want to do in which moment?

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

Currently in game

- Enter info in one combinator
- Shift+Right click ( Copy ) on that combinator
- Shift+Left click ( Paste ) on every other combinator

I think he want something completely different. That what he want! :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ah. :shock: Now I got it. :D

:roll:

PS: I have had similar ideas with the world, peace, freedom and love, but it's really difficult to explain the ideas to other people: they just don't understand that they need to change to make things better. ;)

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

More seriously I think you should think about using blueprint to copy combinator.

I'm sure DaveMcW didn't input one by one every combinator in his movie player : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfwwqwxdxY

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

vtx wrote:More seriously I think you should think about using blueprint to copy combinator.

I'm sure DaveMcW didn't input one by one every combinator in his movie player : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfwwqwxdxY
DaveMcW didn't use blueprints, he used a script (available on github) to convert the movie file to a very large console command that sets the signals, which he then just copy-pasted into Factorio.

Since Copy-pasting combinator settings is already in the game, I think what OP wants is that the number text-input is automatically selected (any keyboard input directly overwrites the textfield) when you open a constant combinator or select one of its output slots. You currently have to select the number manually before you can overwrite it.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

daniel34 wrote:
vtx wrote:More seriously I think you should think about using blueprint to copy combinator.

DaveMcW didn't use blueprints, he used a script (available on github) to convert the movie file to a very large console command that sets the signals, which he then just copy-pasted into Factorio.
viewtopic.php?t=37490 He said himself : "I designed the movie player in 10 sections, then built them all from the same blueprint."

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Yes, the movie player itself was likely blueprinted, but the data that the constant combinators hold (where the movie itself is stored) that you mentioned in your reply above was input using the console.

https://github.com/DaveMcW/factorio-movie-maker
  • Obtain a source picture or video. It must have a 16:9 aspect ratio or it will be stretched. In this example it is called source.mp4.
  • Start Factorio and load movie.zip.
  • Open each file in the script directory, select all, and copy/paste it into the Factorio console.
I actually started this reply before you edited yours, and I'm not trying to start an argument here, so let's just say it was a mixture of blueprinting and console use and focus on the actual topic.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

+1 With constant combinator after you choose an item the focus should be set automaticaly on the value text. Then we can directly enter the value we want with numpad or use the dragNdrop scroll. One less click is QoL.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

I'm really sorry I was unclear, this was supposed to be a gimme, I'm afraid I wrecked it by just assuming It was clearly a simple, easily-correctable oversight in the UI setup.

I'm asking to have Factorio interpret keyboard input when you're changing an operand value as the new operand value. It's really that simple. Am I alone in thinking that after you've clicked on a combinator operand to change it, Factorio should treat keyboard input as the new value?

Make a batch of combinators, arithmetic or deciders. Set one to each-to-each signalling, leave the operand alone (it's a constant "0"). Copy-settings those to the rest of the batch.
Now go in and change the operators and constants around, I've got a bunch of values on the sushi-belt-controller setup I"m working on, *100000, /1000, *999, >450000, *-10000, <425000, *10000, *-1, +0, -12, /1, *4, *2, *50, *-50, a smattering of *black and /S.

This game doesn't force many wasted motions, it doesn't intrude, it's like Steely Dan, no static at all, ya know?. Everything about it shows really exceptional care, against a backdrop like that the edge-case glitches stand out perhaps more than anyone would like. Trying to find a layout for this gadget I'm building that doesn't look like a rat's nest is perhaps not the least of the reasons I'm trying lots of variations on this, but it's the least embarrassing one anyway -- trying to "think in circuits" produces lots of "well, _that_ didn't work" moments too.

... I was going to upload a video, it tells me "the extension mp4 is not allowed"? There, that gives an idea what I'm after, I couldn't count the number of iterations I've been through. Probably not fifty yet, but that forced stutter-step entering the constant adds a _lot_ to the time it takes to set up, to try something new -- exactly the situation in which blueprints can't help (and getting this up really really early is kind of the plan here, besides just the urge to tinker with it)

This is also, by the way, why I want the power-disconnected warning to not operate when the only potential supply on the network is an open power switch -- I figure I can easily keep the final-version layout, I'm after a green-science logistics network you could even get running before oil's really up, to less surface area say twenty factories , and control fifty, maybe a hundred factories as trickle chargers for everything that doesn't need to saturate or drain a belt, all the small stuff I only want a few stacks for, all the slow stuff. When everything's all built I want to shut the whole complex off, at 5-10kW idle per factory all-in that could hit a couple MW, somewhere between two and four steam engines ain't nothing, but gating it would produce a really huge blob of flashing false positives.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”