Mechanical Energy System

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mechanical Energy System

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

I'm not going to go into what produces it or what can run on it, only this.

Machines powered by mechanical energy can be sped up simply by applying more mechanical energy. AKA, make the parts move faster.

The only factor limiting machines from running faster on mechanical power, are the parts that connect the generators to the machines themselves. In other words, a mechanical network made of iron would have a higher possible speed than a mechanical network made of wood, and one made of steel could go even faster.

Lets say however that you place the mechanical generators directly next to some mechanical assemblers with no spaces in between. The limiting factor here would be the assemblers themselves. A tier 2 assembler would have a higher top speed than a tier 1 assembler.

As for integration with the current electrical system, all we would need are some electromagnets. Apply electricity and they output mechanical. Apply mechanical and they output electricity.

With such a system, one wouldn't have to build as many production facilities to expand, just provide more power. Once 'more power' isn't enough to increase production, simply upgrade the various parts of the network.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Mechanical Energy System

Post by Alfdaur »

It sound to me like you are describing the function that 'speed modules' already have in the game. Speed modules make the factory work faster for an increase in power usage and extra polution. Could you eloborate in what way thise new 'mechanical energy system' differs from the speed modules?

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

Now, everything runs slower if there's not enough energy produced. I think what he wants is to get rid of the maximum speed for all the assemblies, so they run faster if there's an overproduction of energy. imo that's kind of ridiculous, because then you can just have one assembly machine that's being fed 10 times the normal power, so it outputs 20 gears per second. and modules would be useless.

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

Also, if a machine run faster, what usually happen is that it break.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

If the electric network could have different voltages/ampers then the idea would make sense.

Higher-tier stuff needs higher power, you can "overclock" things somewhat for higher speed but it would do random damage to the machines.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Alfdaur wrote:It sound to me like you are describing the function that 'speed modules' already have in the game. Speed modules make the factory work faster for an increase in power usage and extra pollution. Could you elaborate in what way this new 'mechanical energy system' differs from the speed modules?
Modules work on a machine by machine basis, where each module can only speed up the machine they are in, unless placed in a beacon. Mechanical would speed up across connected networks as a whole.
Bleda wrote:Now, everything runs slower if there's not enough energy produced. I think what he wants is to get rid of the maximum speed for all the assemblies, so they run faster if there's an overproduction of energy. imo that's kind of ridiculous, because then you can just have one assembly machine that's being fed 10 times the normal power, so it outputs 20 gears per second. and modules would be useless.
Ohlmann wrote:Also, if a machine run faster, what usually happen is that it break.
You wouldn't be able to speed up the machines endlessly, each one would have a top speed, however it would be slightly higher than if they were run on electricity.
hoho wrote:If the electric network could have different voltages/ampers then the idea would make sense.
Higher-tier stuff needs higher power, you can "overclock" things somewhat for higher speed but it would do random damage to the machines.
I'm wary of having such a system damage itself if run too hard since that could get somewhat annoying.

The current Electrical Energy Network runs as such. All machines that run on electricity have a set top speed, you can increase this top speed per machine by adding modules. When you want to produce items faster, either you add more assemblers, or you add modules. More power would come last.

For the described Mechanical Energy Network, you'd add more power first, modules second, and more assemblers third. HOWEVER; each tier of mechanical network can only run so fast. You couldn't just keep adding more and more power to a single assembler, even with modules, it would eventually reach its top speed.

Say for example wooden tier could only run 1.5 times as fast as burner inserters go now so long as you supply enough power. Iron tier could keep up or surpass regular and long inserters by maybe 1.75 times. Steel tier would max out at 2.0 times as fast as fast and smart inserters. Modules would increase these limits for any given assembler, but not by much.

This means the mechanical network would speed up and slow down AS A WHOLE as you add/remove machines/generators. Where's the electrical network only slows down when the energy consumed is higher than the energy produced.

Another way to look at it. The electrical network either only produces enough energy to power the network, (if you have more generators than you currently need), or uses the excess power generation to fill accumulators. The mechanical network would use excess energy to run faster automatically, up to a certain point set by the parts of the network itself.

The core thought is that mechanical operates in reverse of what electrical does. Electrical = More Assemblers > Modules > More Power. Mechanical = More Power > Modules > More Assemblers. Something tells me though that if such a system were used, modules might not work in it. So then each would have their own way of being sped up.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

just to get this clear. you're suggesting a new power source apart from electricity. so you can chose if you want to run a factory on electricity or "mechanical power". And the two would behave differently in that with the mechanical power, assembly lines have no speed limit, but the things that deliver the power (like the power poles for the electric network) do.

is that right?

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Bleda wrote:just to get this clear. you're suggesting a new power source apart from electricity. so you can chose if you want to run a factory on electricity or "mechanical power". And the two would behave differently in that with the mechanical power, assembly lines have no speed limit, but the things that deliver the power (like the power poles for the electric network) do.

is that right?
Almost completely right. There would be a speed limit, set by both the connecting parts, and the machines that require power.

Say a fully powered wood tier network could hold up to 10 mechanical energy max. A wood tier assembler requires 1 mechanical energy to run at 100% (1 mech. energy), and has a maximum overclock of 125% (1.25 mech. energy).
With 10 wood tier assemblers on a wood tier network, each assembler would run at exactly 100% (10 / 10 = 1 mech. energy) with no excess energy in the network.
With 5 wood tier assemblers on the same network, each assembler would run at 125% (1.25 x 5 = 6.25 mech. energy) and there would be an extra 3.75 mech. energy in the network.
With 20 assemblers, all would run at 50% (10 / 20 = 0.5 mech. energy) with no excess energy in the network.

Hopefully I get an early enough head start in the morning that I can make a diagram of what's running through my head in regards to Mechanical, Thermal, & Electrical Energy Systems before I leave for work.

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

IRL the energy is rarely if ever transmitted directly because of how inefficient it is. DO you intend to modelize that ?

(dunno if hydraulic transmission would make more sense)

DasMonzta
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DasMonzta »

Does not sound very cool.
BTW, does somebody know if a "shut down botton" is planned? I want to stop machines temporarily without removing the powersource :P

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

Ok, I guess I get it now, but what's the point of all of this? what sense does it make to add some complex thing that has the exactly same purpose as the already existing electric power network?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”