taking items from the back instead of the front

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DarkenDragon
Inserter
Inserter

taking items from the back instead of the front

Post by DarkenDragon »

for those of you who are not aware, you can limit the amount of items automation puts into boxes by clicking the x in the bottom right most corner and drag it up the line. when you do this, those spaces become red and automation will not put any items into those slots, but you can manually put items in there (not control click though)

what I would like seen done is to have robots and inserters have a priority to take items in the red first, or take it from the bottom right most areas first instead of the top left. this way they will take the over flow items that were made earlier first. it'll make things cleaner and will have less stacks and be much more organized

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: taking items from the back instead of the front

Post by DaveMcW »

DarkenDragon wrote:it'll make things cleaner and will have less stacks and be much more organized
That's your job. The game's job is to make it challenging to do. ;)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

DaveMcW wrote:
DarkenDragon wrote:it'll make things cleaner and will have less stacks and be much more organized
That's your job. The game's job is to make it challenging to do. ;)
Agreed. If you have items in the red area you either put them there yourself or blocked it too late. In either case you can just take the stacks out and find a machine somewhere that needs it. There's no need to make a change like this for something you can easily resolve yourself.

DarkenDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkenDragon »

but the whole point of the game is automation, you should be able to make the game do it for you!

bonob
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bonob »

I agree with this, I actually made the same suggestion a few days ago: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3987

Minor annoyance yes, but minor change and that would make the chest limiter much cleaner.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

Personaly I've never bothered with a few wasted resources. If needed I always did the job myself and had no problams with it.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

+1
small change, makes absolute sense!

and also always take from incomplete stacks first.

chlue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chlue »

I think this would be a good change too.

When I realized the current behavior I actually thought that it is a bug at first. I had a buffer chest feeding into a belt, wanted to dispose some additional items and had to realize that putting them into the blocked areas does nothing. So far I don't know a good method to archive this with the current logic.

For buffer chests between machines one can usually just stuff the additional items directly in a machine and later with roboports and requester quests this becomes a non-issue too. So its mostly only relevant early in the game or for special items.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”