Limiting train fuel

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Limiting train fuel

Post by skillabstinenz »

I would like to limit the train fuel slots like the slots of the chest. I don't know how big your maps are, but I never needed a second slot. Especially with rocket fuel.

Coal at 600kw/s and 259km/h (assuming 1 tile = 1 m²) gets you more than 143km far and takes more than 30min. With rocket fuel you get to 809km reach (my countries length!) and over 3h travel time! Who needs that?!

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Limiting train fuel

Post by impetus maximus »

fill the other two slots on the right with wood, crates, or wood power poles. ;)

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Opps Edited :P
Last edited by Kane on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mengmoshu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mengmoshu »

Kane... He said "limit the train fuel slots like the slots of the chest", not remove. You need to read more carefully before you "post such negative replies".

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

...Why?

It's always best for a train to be fully loaded with fuel so that your train doesn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere and your network gets stuck behind that single train.

And if you DO want limited fuel slots, then you should be able to limit the single fuel slot in boilers and furnaces too, which I don't see much use of.

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheDagmaar »

Yes, also limit the storage size and inventory size. Why? Coz it's not challenging! I want to refuel the trains, solve problems! Hell yeah!
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Just need to be able to read the fuel contents of the locomotive with circuit network. Then you could limit fuel to whatever amount you desire.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I agree, that the current train uses ridiculous less fuel.
On the other hand: I remember one scenario, where I was a beginner and tried to keep my trains running without having coal and if you need to fill them with wood only it looks quite different, that is really hard!

But I tend to move that into Balancing board...
Opinions?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mengmoshu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mengmoshu »

Half of you still seem to be treating this as a request to reduce the number of fuel slots on trains. My understanding of the original request was to add something like the red X in chests to block some of the slots. Here are a some scenarios where 3 slots is important: 1) A new setup is running on inferior fuel like wood. 2) Extremely long trips by very large trains running on coal. 3) Temporary trains without automated refueling.

I'm pretty sure the suggestion was mainly about the "typical" scenario of short/medium distance trains with automated refueling, where some players don't like the "sunk cost" of 1 or 2 stacks of fuel that will never get used. I don't think there's a balance issue with fuel evident here at all, it's just a matter of some people finding it "ugly" that up to 2 stacks of fuel sit around never doing anything but occupying space.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”