Allow miners report resources to circuit network

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Allow miners report resources to circuit network

Post by Engimage »

With the new map feature allowing to see the ore patch size directly from the map I have come up with an idea to let electric mining drill report this number to circuit network.
There might be two options for it. Either let miner report the number it is covering or report the whole patch size as the map does. First one might be kinda inaccurate cause mining areas do intersect between drills and their sum is nowhere near the actual patch size but still has sense for calculating average resource density. But reporting the whole patch size might be useful if it is the remaining amount and not one from map generator.

This feature might be useful for creating alerts when your outpost is going dry and you have to expand.
Last edited by Engimage on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Allow miners report resources to cirquit network

Post by Brathahn »

+1
maybe with an option to report only the directly covered area (3x3) or the whole mining area (5x5)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I also was disappointed when I noticed that miners could not be connected to the circuit network. I wanted to connect all miners of an ore patch together into a circuit network and connect it to my main base, so that a yellow or red light would light up in my main base as soon as the remaining amount of ore in the ore patch became low.

However, by expressing disappointment in this regard I don't want to express that Factorio was a bad game. The contrary is the case. It's just that Factorio is so perfect in many ways that I get used to expect perfection, and then get rather disappointed in the few cases where I find Factorio not to be perfect.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

This is added in 0.15

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Klonan wrote:This is added in 0.15
Very nice! Thank you very much! Factorio is now one step closer to perfection. :)

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

You can currently allready do something similar. If you build a perfect ratio setup drill/furnaces or at least your ore didn't clogged between drill and furnace.
Based on that you can place 2 splitters

Code: Select all

==>=>===
  >=>
Connect directly the 2 belts "=" between splitters ">" to a decider combinator : iron ore < 10 return A = 1
Both belts : on read content / off activate/deactive / continuous

With that you know that some of your drill run out.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Klonan wrote:This is added in 0.15
Man you just stroke my heart once again. I don't know how much more hype you can add to 0.15

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Allow miners report resources to circuit network

Post by deepdriller »

What else will be added to the circuit network?
Enabling/disabling assemblers directly would be a big addition, but could they be set to send their output- or input slots?
And while we're at it, why not let boilers output the temperature?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”