Disable Replay Function

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Disable Replay Function

Post by therapist »

Is it possible to disable replays somehow or is it impossible to divorce this function from the new deterministic systems behind factorio?

If possible, could we add the option to the save interface or the new game interface somehow?

How else am i supposed to protect my factory's "trade secrets" while I'm impressing the ladies by trading my very very impressive save games with them? Don't trust a ho.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Disable Replay Function

Post by ssilk »

Don't you mean that is a bit ridiculous? :) This is the same as trying to protect how to program but offering the end-product (the program).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

The only situation I could imagine where this is usefull is where somebody posts that he finished the game (build rocket-defense) in under 3h, but the replay would reveal that he was cheating :D

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

So the man wants to share his factory but doesn't want to let anyone know of the despicable deeds that had to be done to make it a reality. The poor working conditions, child labor, factory worker suicides, his private military force to suppress the employee riots, all of that. He wants to think all this wealth was created by *gasp* MACHINES in a factory that doesn't oppress the proletariat! The history has to be erased for the sake of the future! Down with the replays!

tetkris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tetkris »

disable replay function only support cheaters , this is not good idea

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

And that from one of those, who says, copy protection is awful. :) No offense, just a bit joshing around. :)

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Hiding "trade secrets" from woman I impress with factorio saves was a joke... I thought that much was obvious. I just want the option of having save files and playing the game without a recording being saved. Is this possible or is the replay function automatic.
ssilk wrote:Don't you mean that is a bit ridiculous? :) This is the same as trying to protect how to program but offering the end-product (the program).
It's kind of like how a development team releases a game or software but hides or obfuscates the source code.
drs9999 wrote:The only situation I could imagine where this is usefull is where somebody posts that he finished the game (build rocket-defense) in under 3h, but the replay would reveal that he was cheating :D
If someone wanted to brag about how fast they got to rocket defense, and disabled replay, its probably obvious that they cheated. I wasn't aware "save fraud" was a big concern lol, but you're totally right, you don't get to count your achievements as record-breaking if you can't provide a replay.
muzzy wrote:So the man wants to share his factory but doesn't want to let anyone know of the despicable deeds that had to be done to make it a reality. The poor working conditions, child labor, factory worker suicides, his private military force to suppress the employee riots, all of that. He wants to think all this wealth was created by *gasp* MACHINES in a factory that doesn't oppress the proletariat! The history has to be erased for the sake of the future! Down with the replays!

Exactly, if you saw me push the bones of all those child laborers into the "death ditches" you might think differently of my recreation of factorio style Disneyland.
tetkris wrote:disable replay function only support cheaters , this is not good idea
Cheating for what? Faking you achieved some feat? Just don't believe people when they say obvious lies like "oh man I totally forgot to enable replay" and you can't be fooled. Also, as long as you can "scroll up" in the console back to the beginning, you would see someone entering the give command.
ssilk wrote:And that from one of those, who says, copy protection is awful. :) No offense, just a bit joshing around. :)
Don't really see the connection between the two, transparency is a good thing in every aspect of software government etc. Playtime is just for fun, I wasn't aware you all demand as much transparency in video game save files as I do in real life. Funny how our priorities differ.

Just concerned about things like performance, size of save files, customization.

You could say that I'm sticking with the theme of being able to do anything you want to do with the product you bought, even if it leads to consequences that upset some people.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Now that I replied to all that, can I ask again:

Is it even possible?
Is it something I could do with a mod?
Does it impact performance?
Does it affect filesize of saves?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

therapist wrote:Is it even possible?
Yes, yes.
Start new game, enable any arbitry mod AFTER the game was started => replay is disabled
therapist wrote:Does it impact performance?
Do not think so.

I still do not understand why you want that, I mean what is the benefit?

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

drs9999 wrote:I still do not understand why you want that, I mean what is the benefit?
Privacy! Maybe he's ashamed of how he plays and does not want to be criticized about his playing style by others when he shows off his creations.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

muzzy wrote:Privacy! Maybe he's ashamed of how he plays and does not want to be criticized about his playing style by others when he shows off his creations.
800 dead babies in a septic tank does make me sort of self conscious. Not ashamed though, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
drs9999 wrote:
therapist wrote:Is it even possible?
Yes, yes.
Start new game, enable any arbitry mod AFTER the game was started => replay is disabled
therapist wrote:Does it impact performance?
Do not think so.

I still do not understand why you want that, I mean what is the benefit?

Just curious because other games DO suffer performance losses or larger save game files for the option of having a replay. Some data can be discarded after it has transpired and become irrelevant, but with a replay, all data must continue to be saved and stored in order to facilitate said replay. It is hard for me to understand that remembering rather than forgetting my character's position and the placement and movement of entities over several hours could not degrade performance, but I suppose it's possible that they have found some way to compile this data "free of charge" so to speak in terms of resources.

Good to know that any modding can disable replay though, I just want the option to turn it off for games I don't really intend to keep replays for anyway.

Edit:And I promise not to use that information for "awesomeness fraud" purposes.
Jeez you guys are hilarious about the whole "cheating to fake being good at factorio" thing, that still has me smirking a little bit that this is a really deep concern and reason to ENFORCE replays for you guys. Factorio is serious business.
Last edited by therapist on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theit8514
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theit8514 »

Just to clarify, I do not think modding by itself disables replay, but the process of adding a mod to an existing save.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Well, I had better said that I believe it will not increase the performance instead if "I think".
For me it is not worth the effort to try it by myself, but I would happily read test-results.
therapist wrote:Good to know that any modding can disable replay though, I just want the option to turn it off for games I don't really intend to keep replays for anyway.
It is not the case that replays are kept seperated from the save-file, so I still do not see any use for it. Apart from a performance increase which I doubt exist, but I cannot proof it, though.
theit8514 wrote:Just to clarify, I do not think modding by itself disables replay, but the process of adding a mod to an existing save.
Yes that is the case

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

therapist wrote:
ssilk wrote:This is the same as trying to protect how to program but offering the end-product (the program).
It's kind of like how a development team releases a game or software but hides or obfuscates the source code.
No. The program does it's job or not. It's not cheating.:)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”