Train wagons carrying one item button

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

crelling
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Train Quick-filter

Post by crelling »

Sorry for the necro, but I thought it would be better then creating a new post regarding the same issue.

Just like Ranakastrasz, I also use a lot of filters in my train wagons, and it really is a pain to set them all manually. Especially if I want the whole wagon to be filtered to a single item.
The copy and drag to paste settings functionality that exist on the assemblers, inserters, etc. would be a really great feature here, and as far as I can tell, the train inventory (I know I can do it on the wagon as a whole afterwords) is one of the few (if only) places it's currently not pressent. This would be a great timesaver, and im sure a lot of people working with trains would love it :)

As bobucles suggested, I can do this with inserters. The problem beeing if I drive the train manually, or the train temporarely stops on a red light, the inserters go to work even though the train isn't supposed to get the items. A good example is if I just miss the station when driving manually, then the fuel loaders go to work, loading my cargo wagons with fuel, instead of my locomotive, and this then creates a mess in my whole system during unloading unless i use filters on the unloading-station.

Ausprit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Paste filter into multiple cells

Post by Ausprit »

To add weight to this suggestion as I was close to open another thread on the same subject. While I understand that it is low priority, setting up a few trains makes you really feel the fact that you're ending up clicking repeatedly.
I don't have RSI (hopefully), but I still isn't confortable.

As a hint to other people, you can avoid clicking the wheel (which is much harder to click) by shift right-clicking the filter you want and shift+left-clicking the slots you want to paste it to. Not perfect, but better than making stacks of one everywhere than wheel-clicking the stacks to set the filter.

Helvarg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

QoL: Set filters in wagons with holding item and dragging

Post by Helvarg »

TL;DR
Hold item + middle mouse button and drag to set filters in cargon wagons
What ?
The idea is to speed up the process of assigning filter to cargo wagon slots. As of now, you either have to middle-click each slot and choose the filter from the list or you can pick up an item and middle-click a slot to set the filter for the item in your hand, but you have to click every slot to set the filter. It would be much easier and faster to just pick up the item, hold the middle mouse button and drag over the slots to set the filter. Similar to how you can copy assembler configuraions and circuit conditions.
Here is a picture of the process:
illustration of suggestion
illustration of suggestion
trainfilters.png (700.26 KiB) Viewed 14063 times
Why ?
This would just improve the quality of life, as you can now set filter to cargo wagons much faster.

Greetings,
Helvarg
(also, my first post :) )

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: QoL: Set filters in wagons with holding item and dragging

Post by AileTheAlien »

+1 for click-dragging filters.

Also, CTRL-click should fill the wagon with that filter. CTRL-click fills / empties a container of an item, so I think it'd make sense to work like this for filters.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Keryja/fast-filter-fill

... etc. ...

I would love, if the FFF mod had a way to set filters like described here, but can you add also a way how to set filter, if you don't have that item (cause that is the reason, why you want to transport by train)?

I also would like some to see some similar like this in upcomming changes (see FFF-191).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FactorioBlueprints
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FactorioBlueprints »

Similarly, you can copy and paste cargo filters, and pasting should work with Shift+Click and drag, since the same thing works when pasting recipes.

Ripshaft
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ripshaft »

I didn't say anything on this since it seems pretty obvious and a logical progression of their recent QoL filter dragging functions, but I appreciate the work you put into this post to clearly illustrate the idea, good stuff =p

Definitely a must-have feature.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Drag to select multiple storage filters

Post by cpy »

I have wagon full of ore and i want to set it to just that, but looks like i have to click slot by slot.

I propose just hold and drag to drag across multiple slots or ctrl+key to make whole inventory to filter to that item.

m44v
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Drag to select multiple storage filters

Post by m44v »

+1

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Click/Drag wouldn't be that useful except for maybe ores. How often do you want to grab multiple things that are together?

Ctrl-Click, yes please!

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

CTRL+drag won't work for taking items, CTRL takes all, i suppose shitf+drag would do it.

I'm talkig about item FILTERING not taking items, i want to set whole wagon to one single item filter or paint drag filters maybe drag and paint like selecting multiple icons on desktop. If it's not hard to implement that would be nice. Or at least one item filter for whole wagon some easy way.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about selecting items for filter inserters.

Yes dragging a box on a train car and setting the filter would be a huge boon.

PadreSperanza
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PadreSperanza »

I am not sure but you can filter the first slot with middle mouse click and select the item you want to transport.
After you can use SHIFT+right-click to copy that and SHIFT+left-click to copy filter option like you can do with Assemblers and chest limitations you can do with train wagons aswell

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Drag filters in trains

Post by The Eriksonn »

If you want to filter an entire cargo wagon full of iron then it would be nice if you could drag in the same way you can by dragging to pick up from furnaces. :roll:

Dragging while shift+leftclick should filter Everything you drag on

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Drag filters in trains

Post by Jap2.0 »

I want this.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Drag filters in trains

Post by impetus maximus »

+1

Pat4yczek
Inserter
Inserter

Automated copy filters

Post by Pat4yczek »

Hi everyone.
Here's my idea, there's a lot of automated copying in game.
But it will be nice if this same feature implements in copying filters in cargos, such as cars, tanks and cargo wagons.
Copy once and paste filters by only draging by mouse.

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Automated copy filters

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

You... Can? Shift right click and shift left click. You can drag the paste.

Pat4yczek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pat4yczek »

Then check by self. On filters you can only copy by clicking each box label separetly....

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

You can copy the complete set of filters from one entity to another of the same type (so once you've set up the filters for a single wagon, you can copy that to any number of other wagons; same for cars and other entity types), but currently there's indeed no way to copy the filters between the slots of a single inventory.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”