Very Big Machines

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Very Big Machines

Post by GewaltSam »

It just came to mind that it would be nice to have some very big machines or buildings that clearly stand out in your factory. Maybe a big colony building or some kind of arcology; a huge radar dish, or the rocket defense itself (but not in 3x3). If I look at the grid, it could be around 10x10 or 15x15 tiles big, maybe even bigger.

That would be a great idea to "visualize" some kind of progress in the game. If the thing comes as building size first with different stages towards completion, even better. Maybe it would be a good idea to make these buildings unique (and also do something unique, so you don't need them in masses). Naturally, such a thing would cost a lot of resources and effort, and it could open further options for expanding your factory.

What do you think?
Last edited by GewaltSam on Fri May 30, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Very Big Machines

Post by Artman40 »

In my opinion, these buildings would be better to be composed of several smaller ones making up a larger entity so you wouldn't have to build it in one go.

sonnyskare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonnyskare »

Artman40 wrote:In my opinion, these buildings would be better to be composed of several smaller ones making up a larger entity so you wouldn't have to build it in one go.
Which is pretty much the game as it is. We can all pack up and go home people, mystery solved.

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

I think the upcoming endgame stuff should include such large buildings which are (hopefully) super-expensive to build. Not only for the visual effect but also that you have an ingame incentive to really ramp up your production. It is a great challenge to get all components for the rocket defense but it's a pity that it's the only one of that kind (accumulate-a-lot-of-expensive-to-make-items).

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

sonnyskare wrote:
Artman40 wrote:In my opinion, these buildings would be better to be composed of several smaller ones making up a larger entity so you wouldn't have to build it in one go.
Which is pretty much the game as it is. We can all pack up and go home people, mystery solved.
What I meant that the main building is the one that can function independently and smaller ones which have to be directly attached to the main building to improve the building's properties somehow. That way buildings won't get obsoleted.

blackopsman9999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by blackopsman9999 »

Like in minecraft AE mod, the assembler I assume is what you mean? You can put in more CPU or heat dispensers, to craft more or faster?

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

blackopsman9999 wrote:Like in minecraft AE mod, the assembler I assume is what you mean? You can put in more CPU or heat dispensers, to craft more or faster?
Sort of. Minecraft has some mods which allow you to make structures (instead of just inserting items inside structures) that can improve the machines they're attached to.

saykhia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by saykhia »

In my mind, I have the following mental image:

End goal is to build a gigantic habitation structure. Perhaps an arcology? Or a large insterstellar communications array to contact the fleet (hyperwave relay from Battletech comes to mind)? A huge amount of resources and components is required from the player-built factory, which culminates in... a gigantic crane/construction machine required to build the actual structure itself.

A construction site is designated - perhaps it can only be built in certain locations on the map, necessitating defenses and logistics to be planned for the site. The crane/machine is placed at the site and it becomes permanent once the crane goes in. From then, lots of components will need to be brought to the site (by belt/robot if nearby, by train if far away) while construction commences.

Lots of hard work by the crane and components later, the structure is finished! Then the fleet can be contacted and the final countdown begins.

Intensely attacked by aliens the whole way, of course!

tetkris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tetkris »

bigh machines this is super idea , why all machines has only 3x3 value :(

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”