Player made campaigns

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

stylistic_sagi
Inserter
Inserter

Player made campaigns

Post by stylistic_sagi »

Preferably on the steam workshop.
It would be a nice idea to have people create their own (multiplayer?)campaigns and stories and can then share them on steam workshop.
I really loved the main campaign in the game but im really sad that it did not got more of the stuff.
If players could make it themself with all the orange talk boxes and all that this game will flourish even more.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Player made campaigns

Post by Rseding91 »

stylistic_sagi wrote:Preferably on the steam workshop.
It would be a nice idea to have people create their own (multiplayer?)campaigns and stories and can then share them on steam workshop.
I really loved the main campaign in the game but im really sad that it did not got more of the stuff.
If players could make it themself with all the orange talk boxes and all that this game will flourish even more.
They can. All of the campaigns are made with the Lua API so anyone can make their own.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

stylistic_sagi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stylistic_sagi »

Yeah but the sharing of these campaign is still not user friendly, as well as the making off could be more user friendly for those that can't program among us.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Campaigns can be put into mods. Sharing those is pretty easy.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

prg wrote:Campaigns can be put into mods.
Can they?
Because a campaign also requires a save game, I don't think you can put those in mods. And it would be pretty annoying to go to the mod menu and enable / disable the mod if you want / don't want to play a specific campaign.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

TheUnknown007 wrote:
Can they?
Because a campaign also requires a save game, I don't think you can put those in mods. And it would be pretty annoying to go to the mod menu and enable / disable the mod if you want / don't want to play a specific campaign.
Yes. You can include a blueprint.dat and control.lua for every level of a campaign. If you don't include a data.lua and top-level control.lua, the mod won't require synchronization so won't need to be disabled for multiplayer.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

prg wrote:
TheUnknown007 wrote:
Can they?
Yes. You can include a blueprint.dat and control.lua for every level of a campaign. If you don't include a data.lua and top-level control.lua, the mod won't require synchronization so won't need to be disabled for multiplayer.
I can't tell for sure, but that does not sound like an actual answer to my question / concerns, mostly because multiplayer does not have anything to do with distributing save files via mods.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

TheUnknown007 wrote:
prg wrote:
TheUnknown007 wrote:
Can they?
I can't tell for sure, but that does not sound like an actual answer to my question / concerns, mostly because multiplayer does not have anything to do with distributing save files via mods.
You don't have to distribute a save game, you distribute a scenario,

The scenario consists of optionally a control.lua, and/or a blueprint.dat

The control.lua is the lua script for your scenario
The blueprint.dat is the map for your scenario, if you don't include one, you will be greeted with the map generator screen instead

In no part is a savegame file needed

A mod can distribute a scenario within its own file structure, for example, in the custom scenarios you see the base game scenarios as 'base/sandbox', this means this scenario comes from the base mod,
The same will occur with any mod

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”