Option to label ores on the map

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Option to label ores on the map

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

There is a mod to label ores on the map but it does this by creating an invisible train stop which is a bit hacky and seems to come with a bunch of problems.

Would it not make more sense to have a vanilla option to highlight an ore type on the map? Or even just hovering over an ore reveals its type? Ideally both? As a heavily colour deficient player I struggle to differentiate between copper and stone in vanilla, with Bob's Mods I literally have to drive to almost every ore patch and physically check what type it is, which is exceptionally annoying when you're looking for one ore in particular and it's not that common (like Tungsten). There were many suicide runs into biter territory just to find out what an ore is.

Failing that, please at least provide a more robust way for modders to interact with the map so we can implement something ourselves.
Last edited by Deadly-Bagel on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Option to label ores on the map

Post by Tekky »

I fully agree with your suggestion. Although I do not have much trouble in distinguishing ore types in vanilla Factorio, I do have a lot of trouble doing so in bob's mods. I also must drive to every ore patch, in order to identify the ore type.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

I support this.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

Nowadays I just semi-casually always put up a train station next to any worthwhile ore patch. I just don´t usually connect the station to any actual rails.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18153 Information-Layers (for map and/or normal view)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ragnaman »

@ssilk
not only is this useful for anyone, it also is a great move forward in terms of accessibility (many people have difficulty with colour differentiation, they cant easily see ore patches).
I do not know how you categorise suggestions, but this should have the accessibility tag too.
Last edited by Ragnaman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|
| Mods: Greenhouse with modules
| Hobby artist (CAD) | Hobby coder | Lead Software Engineer | Employed
|

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good point. Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=22760 Support for Color Blinds / Better Visibility ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

zetacon4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zetacon4 »

I really want this. I can see colors accurately, but with Bob's mods, I can't even see STONE deposits on the map.
I want a way to highlight any chosen mineral deposits by flashing them or some obvious means.
I click on the ore sample box I want to see, and the mini map flashes every deposit for x number of seconds.
That would make life so much easier and sane. Finding ore is now one of the most unnecessary wastes of time in the game.
And, this game wastes so much time now, it's very hard to play a game through to a goal solution.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Would it not make more sense to have a vanilla option to highlight an ore type on the map? Or even just hovering over an ore reveals its type? Ideally both?
According to Factorio Friday Facts #180, your suggestion will be at least half implemented.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”