Better grid (maybe even configurable in some way)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Better grid (maybe even configurable in some way)

Post by GewaltSam »

So I configured the debug mode a bit at some point (something that i would suggest to everybody who likes to work with some reference lines). I made it so if I hit F5, it only shows the grid and FPS. It helps a bit with building, but it could be a lot better if you could configure it a bit better.

Right now, the grid is divided into chunks of 32x32 tiles, which is the underlaying game mechanic with chunks i guess. I don't know if it's too much of a hassle to change that (at least the display a player gets), but it would really help if I had a grid with, say, 10x10 chunks with some thicker lines for 5x5 blocks or something. I love to build symmetrical, and i realized that i still need to count a lot while building to get it right; and its not that hard to make a mistake in that regard. Also, if you build big, some thicker reference lines here and there would help a lot.

Even with the current system, I'd love to have the big 32x32 chunks in the grid divided in smaller ones, say 8x8.

I hope it's clear what I'm trying to say. I have some difficulties describing it in english ;) It's just an optical thing, but it would make systematic building a lot easier.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Better grid (maybe even configurable in some way)

Post by arl85 »

I like the idea!
I also suggest to add an hotkey for quickly toggling grid (es: CTRL+G) out-of-the-box, without forcing playet to change debug settings.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Better grid (maybe even configurable in some way)

Post by ssilk »

I see this in conjunction with a useful planning mode ( https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... nning+mode ).

In this planing mode an option to show a grid and to set the grid-width and set the zero-point of that grid (the coordinates are shown relative to that grid)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”