Add player bound trains that you can remotely control

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Add option to have train come to you

Post by factoriouzr »

Select a train in any way (eg. through train GUI) and have a button "come to me", which will make the train find the closest track to where the calling player is that it can go to, and go there and stop. This would work great if the train was always visible on the map with a name you could give it and it would ping where it was going to go when you called it.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Add player bound trains that you can remotely control

Post by factoriouzr »

Add option to "lock" a vehicle to a player. Eg. by putting a checkbox in the vehicle GUI that will bind that vehicle to the player clicking the checkbox. If the checkbox was already clicked by another player, other players couldn't uncheck it or set themselves as the owner of that vehicle (or maybe they could?).

The important feature request here though, is to provide a GUI for the player to call their train to any stop (and also ideally to the closest track to where they are currently) simply by clicking a button. This is much like the shuttle train mod, but bound to the specific trains that the player said are theirs via a mechanism such as above.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Add player bound trains that you can remotely control

Post by daniel34 »

Merged both topics as they are about the same issue. I don't think the possibility of locking a vehicle to specific players is a good idea, but having a train drive to the nearest available rail certainly is.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Any update on this?

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Indeed. According to Factorio Friday Facts #212, a similar feature is planned for the GUI update, which is supposed to be released in the next major update (version 0.17).

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Tekky wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:46 pm
Indeed. According to Factorio Friday Facts #212, a similar feature is planned for the GUI update, which is supposed to be released in the next major update (version 0.17).
Indeed, but it seems they miss the point with the feature. What they propose is useful, but having to find the train in the GUI or some other way, activate it, then find the player on the train map is very convoluted. I am already where I want the train to go, It would be great if I could mark a train as my personal train then just click a button to have it come to me. They add too much complexity then what it needs to be.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

According to this post by Factorio developer kovarex, the temporary train stop (i.e. train hijacking feature) is still planned, but he wouldn't specify whether we could expect it for 0.17 or 0.18.

I hope we will already see it in 0.17, however, due to the fact that he used the word "plan", I'm afraid that this feature is still incomplete and we therefore may have to wait for 0.18.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”