Overlapping info boxes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Clean up what we see when hovering over logistics stuff

Post by hoho »

Currently, when hovering over logistics requester chest there is a TON of information on screen, most of what is irrelevant.
(1920x1200 resolution, windowed, UI scale at 120%).
info_bar.PNG
info_bar.PNG (355.37 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Right above the warehouse icon is minimap and on the bottom you can see the Windows status bar. There is relatively little room left for useful information

While it's nice to have that information I'd say a lot of it shouldn't be shown when hovering logistics chests.

I'd suggest we could only see bot count and logistic system contents when hovering roboports. That alone would clean up a ton of screen space. A more complex but more useful solution would be to add a "virtual" chest that displays the logistics system contents and perhaps even allow people to request stuff directly from that chest but that's probably an idea that deserves a whole different topic.

Another thing I've noticed, especially in modded games, is that resistances can take a LOT of screen space as well. IIRC it was DyTech that added some 5+ extra damage types and buildings that defined them, had most of the information bar taken up by showing those resistances. I'd suggest we wouldn't see resistances at all when hovering over built items but that we could see them when hovering over recipes and items in inventories.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Clean up what we see when hovering over logistics stuff

Post by aubergine18 »

Moving the entity icon to the left and then displaying some infos to the right of it would save a lot of space. For example, it's name, health and last updated by could be shown to right of entity icon, particularly if some of the captions are replaced with icons.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Someguy12121
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Overlapping info boxes

Post by Someguy12121 »

Looks like info boxes simply overlap each other based on their layer that they have been programmed in. The issue though is that this leads to some details being obstructed or simply overflowing off the screen.
Attachments
Issue.png
Issue.png (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1520 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Overlapping info boxes

Post by ssilk »

This issue is well known. They currently rework the GUI for 0.15.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two topics about the right side info box overflowing of screen.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I think this special case of overlapping happens only on very narrow screens now with the GUI-elements made bigger. Or so. Dunno exactly. Hard to figure out, I think.

But the main point is: They have moved the right equipment indicator to the left. I would move it to implemented, if there is no other issue I have overseen yet.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I decided against moving it to implemented, because the issue that the info box might be too long to be fully visible on screen still persists (see the picture in the first post). Even though they moved the weapons slots and the GUI changed a lot.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”