More clever autosave

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

More clever autosave

Post by Hannu »

I do not remember if I have already suggested this, but probably not. As everyone knows, devs have made a huge job to program sophisticated AI algorithm to determine when the player makes something important. Or at least it feels so when autosaving interrupts putting of huge blueprint exactly on the place or bloody fight at the most critical moment. Would it be possible that when autosave timer activates then game would wait until player has not made anything with mouse in 3 seconds and there is not crafting, train or any other windows on screen. In most situations when I make something critical I at least move the mouse more often. Of course there would be some maximum time (for example 1 minute) after which the autosave would be forced. As far as I know such simple timer would be reasonable cheap to program, it would not consume too much processor or cause problems to any player.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: More clever autosave

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I can feel your pain, but this approach would be pretty much useless with multiplayer. There is no chance that each player would decide to stop moving mouse in the same moment. That would end as an 1-minute countdown to autosave, which is actually a good idea except that a 10 seconds would do. (There is already thread with that idea.) Anyway, I don't think that delaying autosave is a good idea. They should be done at regular intervals.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This idea is old and I have no time so for now
search.php?keywords=autosave+combat&fid%5B0%5D=6
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ShyLion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Delay Autosave option

Post by ShyLion »

Please, i beg you, add Delay Autosave option in case when there is something in my cursor or i'm doing anything beside moving.
Like reset user activity timer every time he doing something or holding build item in cursor/hand.
If timer passes configured delay, say 5 sec by default and it's time to save, then save.

It is realy frustrating when game decides to save just when you placing something - things gets where they are not supposed to be.

ShyLion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Delay Autosave option

Post by ShyLion »

Pending Autosave indicator would be welcome too when autosave is delayed.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Delay Autosave option

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion
Also related topics :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62129 (reset autosave timer on manual save/load action)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47871 (implement kind of a latency hiding when autosaving)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3829 (prevent autosave during combat)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ShyLion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShyLion »

i swear i searched :oops:

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

In most cases autosave is not too disruptive but I know of 2 cases that are really annoying:

Selections get lost and you have to start all over.

Mouse clicks just before the autosave get acted on after the autosave but use the mouse position and keys pressed from after the autosave. So if you clicked with shift pressed now suddenly shift isn't pressed anymore unless you keep pressing shift all through the autosave. Or a blueprint is placed on a completely different position because you moved the mouse.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Is there a bug report about this? If not: that are kind of bugs, which can and should be reported.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

what Satisfactory has done is show a 3 second countdown just before the save happens. that'd be pretty easy to do.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:34 am
Is there a bug report about this? If not: that are kind of bugs, which can and should be reported.
I reported the later recently. For the former start selecting an area for a blueprint before the autosave and then try holding the mouse button, releasing it and keeping the mosue where it is and releaseing it and moving the mouse and check what the latest version does for each case.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”