Suggestion for expansion of the transportion system

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Hometruck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Suggestion for expansion of the transportion system

Post by Hometruck »

Greetings.

So i have been playing for an amount of time that probably qualifies me to say nothing, and i have noticed that transporting yourself from different factory subsidiaries is a hassle.
So is exploring the map personally because you either have to navigate around forests or get out of your car every five meters to repair it.
I then started to think about what could add depth and (hopefully) fun to transportation, and i came up with some ideas that I wanted to share.

Possibility #1 Add higher tiers of repair pack. These would (naturally) cost more to make.
Possibility #2 Add specializations of vehicle for different tasks. For example a bulldozer that is slow but good for clearing out forests and other clutter, or a sports car like thing that can only drive safely on roads that you build,
on this topic, some people have suggested a tank, i did not think of this but it could be nice for clearing out camps of natives. I will leave other car varieties to the imagination of the reader.
Possibility #3 Add a passenger car for the train system. This one is pretty self-explanatory. *Edit*, I now know that one can ride in any train car that one wants, so i am changing this suggestion to be a car that can carry multiple people at once, in preparation for upcoming multiplayer. I am not deleting any of the original suggestion so that newcomers can see how it was in the past
Possibility #4 Add some upgrade techs that improve car durability. Possibly also an upgrade that is applied singly to cars that lets them autorepair using repair packs in the trunk.

Here are some links to other topics that discuss cars and such.
This one discusses a modular car part system that i found to be an intriguing concept.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2241
This one talks about a saw attachment.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3342
This one suggests a modular upgrade system for the car, that might be interesting.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... car#p24856
This one talks about an auto firing turret on top of the car that could be supplied with ammo from the car's inventory, I had a similar idea, and thus i support this proposition
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... car#p24002
This is all i can be bothered to search the forums for, if you have a pertinent topic that you would like to add, please leave a link.
Happy Automating!
Last edited by Hometruck on Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
If everyone on the internet were a bit more articulate each day, and gave each other the benefit of the doubt, the world would be a better place.

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Suggestion for expansion of the transportion system

Post by Chthon »

Hometruck wrote:Possibility #3 Add a passenger car for the train system. This one is pretty self-explanatory.
I'm confused. Can't you already board the train by pressing enter when near any train car? Why do you need another car just for riding in? I like to ride in the engine myself.

Hometruck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hometruck »

Chthon wrote:
Hometruck wrote:Possibility #3 Add a passenger car for the train system. This one is pretty self-explanatory.
I'm confused. Can't you already board the train by pressing enter when near any train car? Why do you need another car just for riding in? I like to ride in the engine myself.
As i said early in the post, i have been playing pretty much only long enough to have a car powered by solid fuel, so i did not know that you could ride in the train. *edit* in review my post seems quite hostile, so i wanted to say thank you for telling me this.
If everyone on the internet were a bit more articulate each day, and gave each other the benefit of the doubt, the world would be a better place.

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

Hometruck wrote:
Chthon wrote:
As i said early in the post, i have been playing pretty much only long enough to have a car powered by solid fuel, so i did not know that you could ride in the train. *edit* in review my post seems quite hostile, so i wanted to say thank you for telling me this.
Oh, I didn't take you as being hostile at all. I was confused for a minute about your not knowing. Then again I found that many players did not in fact know about this either. I'm glad I was able to help you with this as it's very convenient. Just take care the train does not start moving while you are hopping on, and never hop off a moving train. Both situations tend to be fatal.

Hostile to me is making disparaging remarks about the state of the game or a specific user's character. Other people might use a broader definition, but if I start seeing that, I will simply distance myself, not post questions to you. So you should know there was no offense taken on my part.

I personally did not comment on the other 3 possibilities because I myself am still mulling over what my opinion is and was waiting for arguments/counter-arguments to sway me to one side or another.

Hometruck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hometruck »

Oh, I didn't take you as being hostile at all. I was confused for a minute about your not knowing. Then again I found that many players did not in fact know about this either. I'm glad I was able to help you with this as it's very convenient. Just take care the train does not start moving while you are hopping on, and never hop off a moving train. Both situations tend to be fatal.

Hostile to me is making disparaging remarks about the state of the game or a specific user's character. Other people might use a broader definition, but if I start seeing that, I will simply distance myself, not post questions to you. So you should know there was no offense taken on my part.

I personally did not comment on the other 3 possibilities because I myself am still mulling over what my opinion is and was waiting for arguments/counter-arguments to sway me to one side or another.
That is good to hear, and thank you for taking this into consideration.
i thought that perhaps "as i said earlier in the post" etc might seem like i was reprimanding you for not noticing it.
May the factories be with you :)

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

I rescue something of this that (I think) wasn't what you wanted to emphasise:
Hometruck wrote:Possibility #1 Add higher tiers of repair pack. These would (naturally) cost more to make.
I REALLY like this idea :D

Hometruck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hometruck »

Sedado77 wrote:I rescue something of this that (I think) wasn't what you wanted to emphasise:
I REALLY like this ides :D
I am glad that you liked it.

Hometruck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hometruck »

Forgive me if i did not make this clear in the original post, but i was also hoping to get the opinions of other forum users, not just get the ideas out there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”