I feel Railgun turrets would improve gameplay

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GodDammitKael
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I feel Railgun turrets would improve gameplay

Post by GodDammitKael »

It looks like Railgun turrets have been brought up a few times, but let me give a (hopefully quick) explanation of why I feel Factorio needs them.

In a typical game of Factorio my base defense goes through a few stages, I'll assume others probably have the same experience. First I start by plunking down gun turrets and loading them buy hand. A bit later I automate the loading of the turrets with belts, which gives me a logistic problem to solve. Sometime later I unlock lasers, at this point powering these is not easy near the start, and attacks will cause brown outs, so need to mix in gun turrets. As I ramp up power production I slowly switch to all lasers, supplying power to them becomes trivial, and I don't need to solve the logistics of supplying ammo to them. Lasers also far outclass the damage and range of gun turrets, so there is no reason to switch back or mix the two. Defending outposts only involves placing down power lines to them and then some laser turrets. Solving the logistics puzzle of moving ammo to outposts never needs to happen. They are the best and easiest option at late game.

And that's the problem; the easiest option shouldn't also be the best, (in Factorio anyway) there should be a trade off, that logistics puzzle to solve for the reward of better defenses should be there, but it isn't. That's where Railgun turrets could come in. They would require both power and ammo, provide the player with better defenses and another thing to automate, which is, what the game is all about.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I feel Railgun turrets would improve gameplay

Post by Ghoulish »

Am pretty sure gun turrets have higher damage than lasers (once upgraded) As they benefit from turret and bullet upgrades. I like to have both laser and gun turrets though as the lasers deal with the ranged spitters better and then the gun turretrs shred any behemoths that get close.Throw in some flamethrowers if there is oil near by :D I'm too lazy to barrel > train > unbarrel (barrels are such a pain to make and use).

The question is though where would a railgun turret fit in? You have the range on lasers, with lower dps, and the force of guns at short range, and the BBQ that the flamethrowers now give.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

This mod contains railgun turret IIRC: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/sore68/Additional-Turret
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

I like all your logic and stuff, but the REAL reason we need railguns is because they're freaking AWESOME.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14640 New Weapons / New Defenses & Armor / Combat / Turrets
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”