Little Quirks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Little Quirks

Post by SupplyDepoo »

There should be separate sound effects for:
  1. error messages like "inventory full"
  2. info messages like "research started"
  3. chat messages

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Grossen wrote:Vehicles snap to angle:

Don't know if this is requires a thread of if t can be considered a quirk but i find it very annoying when driving on roads and i have to continuously adjust my direction because i either hit trees or step on the railway, especially when using a fast moving vehicle.

I suggest the car would automatically snap to the grid (0, 45, 90 degrees) in case of small angles or have a button for doing that. Also it would be cool if vehicle speed would be affected by terrain.
On that note...
- It might be nice if hitting a building (or wall) at a shallow angle would turn the car without damage..
- driving a car with one wheel on a transport belt could turn the car so that one could build roads that keep the car in the middle of the road unless one actively stears off it.
- There could be road tiles that keep a car centered / aligned along the road unless actively stearing off it.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

When you have a personal roboport, construction robots in the tool belt and a full inventory and one construction robot returns then it tries to enter the inventory and fails, over and over and over. It should just join it's friends in the tool belt.

Furcube
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Furcube »

UI Window will center itself when you receive any message in mutiplayer. Really annoying.
You are building something and moved window out of the way of cursor? Next moment player joined and window will be centered :evil:

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Searching does not reduce the range of the scroll bar, so if you are down the bottom of the item list and then think "I should search" you then have to scroll back up to the top to see the results.

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

When trying to type the name of a train station and people join/leave the game or say something, you lose the focus and contents of the input for the station :(

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Thanks Anyone, that reminds me:
When naming a station it does not filter the existing train stop name list.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

BenSeidel wrote:Thanks Anyone, that reminds me:
You mean when you start typing it should list only those existing stations that start with the same?

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

mrvn wrote:
BenSeidel wrote:Thanks Anyone, that reminds me:
You mean when you start typing it should list only those existing stations that start with the same?
Not "starts with" exactly, but should follow the same searching conventions used in other search boxes. Or at least have a search box.

KrzysD
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KrzysD »

Having to click the plus every time I want to add a station and wait condition, takes a lot of time, maybe adding the station list and wait list to the side would speed things up, double click them into the current train you have selected, drag and drop maybe, would help me out a lot.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 5584 times

zx64
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by zx64 »

Searched (e.g. "chain signal icon" "chain-signal icon") but didn't find anything related.

The icon for the normal rail signal has two lights but the in-game object has three lights.
Meanwhile the icon for the chain signal has three lights but the in-game object has one light.

This was really confusing for me when I started learning about railways in Factorio, as I was assuming the icon with three lights would give me the signal with three lights. I eventually learned the difference but I feel it's something that could be smoothed out with different icons.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

+1 for signal icons, that was just obtuse and signals are tricky enough to get your head around in the first place.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

KrzysD wrote:Having to click the plus every time I want to add a station and wait condition, takes a lot of time, maybe adding the station list and wait list to the side would speed things up, double click them into the current train you have selected, drag and drop maybe, would help me out a lot.
That design would still mean you have to assemble the conditions for every stop from scratch. Instead how about this:

For example I have lots of trains that need to pick up iron plates at my depo. The train stop and condition is always the same. So when I add the next train that needs iron plates I want to cut&paste the "Depo Iron Plate Out" stop and conditions. For this it would be nice, when adding a new train stop, if factorio would have an option to reuse the conditions other trains have at the stop for this train.

Similar many of my stops have the same set of conditions with just one difference. For example they wait for inactivity, or circuit condition or item count = 0, where only the type of item they wait on differ. So when I add a new stop I would like to reuse the conditions of a previous stop as template and then just change the type of item. For the depo stops this would mean I add the stop for iron plates. Then I reuse the conditions for copper plates, only changing the iron plates to copper plates. So instead of copying conditions from another train it would copy it from another stop of the same train.

Last I found adding another train to an existing schedule tiresome. You have to find a train with the right schedule, go to where it is, halt it, place a new train near it, copy&paste schedule and car filters and then start up both trains. Why can't I select a train schedule to copy from the train overview without first standing next to the train? Ideally I even would like to cut&paste the whole setup of a train. The schedule and filters of all cars.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Things unavailable in sandbox

Post by mrvn »

In the sandbox mode there is no player. This has a few negative effects:

1) No armor so one can't carry more
2) No armor so one can't have a personal roboport, limits blueprinting a lot
3) can't drive trains or cars
4) can't test gates reacting to players, e.g. a safe railroad crossing

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Things unavailable in sandbox

Post by Rseding91 »

mrvn wrote:In the sandbox mode there is no player. This has a few negative effects:

You can drive trains and cars - just mouse over them and press enter to get in.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Rseding91 wrote:
mrvn wrote:In the sandbox mode there is no player. This has a few negative effects:

You can drive trains and cars - just mouse over them and press enter to get in.
One never stops learning. Thanks.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Better just use the mod Creative Mode. Allows either keeping the player or detaching from it (ie. god mode), and a lot of other goodies useful for making test builds.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

When you ctrl-click efficiency modules in stuff it should not insert more then neccecery, ie not 4 mk1 into yellow assembler because 3 is enough.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

The Eriksonn wrote:When you ctrl-click efficiency modules in stuff it should not insert more then neccecery, ie not 4 mk1 into yellow assembler because 3 is enough.
3 is not always enough. If you surround the assembler with beacons containing speed/productivity modules then 4 might be required, even with mk2/mk3 efficiency modules where you would only need 2 without beacons.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Speaking of efficiency modules, they shouldn't directly reduce pollution. Just because a mining drill is able to do the same amount of work with less energy doesn't mean it should pollute less. It's still doing the same amount of work.

Or at the very least the pollution reduction should be displayed on the module tooltip and in the info window, otherwise it's just confusing.
Attachments
Confusing pollution calculation
Confusing pollution calculation
xC30e5F.png (155.12 KiB) Viewed 5419 times

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”